Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammythegrower

Suggestions for seeds to sow in January

TammyTheGrower
13 years ago

Hi there and thanks for allowing me to probe your brains.....in the Southeast, what seeds should we start to sow now, in early January, for 2011 harvest. I always do 30 or 40 but by April there is a list of 'I wish I had sown ______."

One of those I regretted not sowing last year was Soapwart.

In mid February I sow tomatoes, etc, but need fresh ideas for January (now). Your suggestions may be seen at href="http://www.newleafplants.com/index.html"newleafplants.com in the spring. I have a HUGE greenhouse where mostly edible plants and some perennials grow.

Also love to trade plants if anyone is in the Atlanta area.

Here is a link that might be useful: newleafplants.com

Comments (8)

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Not sure how closely Atlanta's seasons follow San Francisco, but I just started broccoli, cabbage and bok choi today.

• zen_man
    13 years ago

Onions are slow from seeds, and need a multi-month headstart. Pansies are also slow to develop.

• bernadette_gourder
    13 years ago

I second the onions. Peppers are also very slow. You should also keep in mind any flowers that you want to bloom early and then resow through the year.

• springlift34
    13 years ago

I have already started Sunflowers,Marigold,Basil,Parsley,Chives,Peppermint,and about 300 tomato. I grew last year and remember the misery that heat and rain brought, an instant before harvest time. The spring frost date for Southeast Texas is roughly March.20 and I intend on planting most of everything on Sunday March 20.

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

Have already started asparagus fern, gerbera, rosemary, cineraria, dracaena, campanula, cyclamen, all begonia, all geranium, lavender,heuchera, exactum, aquilegia, artichoke, black eye susan, impatiens all, crape myrtle, petuna, fuchsia, dahlia,
    Jan wiil start: carnation, daisy, savory, viola, hypoestes lupin, dusty miller, tomato, chamomile, chives, lobelia, marjoram, pyrethrum, snapdragon, thyme, wormwood, achilla, alyssum, larkspur, mimulua, saxifraga, statice, sweet william, torenia, vinca, ageratum, asters, dianthis, centaurea, portulata, heliotrope, dahlia, digitalis, balsam, basil, marigold, melampodium, nierembergia, phlox, arabis, bells of ireland, celery, celosa, ox eye daisy,cleome, doronicum, echinops, gaillardia, geum, gomphrena, heliopsis, hibiscus, lemon balm, linum, lychnis, primrose, oenothera, oregano, pensteman, physalis, polygonum, salpiglossis, sedum, shasta daisy, spearmint, stachys, tritoma, thunbergia, verbena, veronica, iberis, coleas, flowering cabbage *&fl kale, salvia, savory, thunbergia, anise, bellis, dimorphotheca, edelweiss, euphorbia, scabiosa, nicotiana, collards, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower,
    These are seeded so they will be ready for sale by 15 april which is the last average frost date.
    There is another list for Feb, march & last minute April
    I hope this helps

• lilianpond_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Wow.......You guys ROCK!!! Two green thumbs up! My list just grew by about 40. Thanks so much. Anybody have luck with hemlock seeds?

Perhaps I should run a new post for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: newleafplants

• Man-Go-Bananas
    13 years ago

Are you into growing fruit trees and plants from seed?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Tammy, is the link your own for-profit nursery? Advice and support, sowing, moral and otherwise, available here :) but no advertising please