Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mori1_gw

Why is giving away seeds so difficult

mori1
10 years ago

Yes, I'm complain. I have this:

Happy New Year everyone. I cleaning out my seed drawer and have some seeds I thought others would like.
Some of these seeds date back to 2008 but most of these should still germinate especially the celosia. You will need to post here First And Then send me an EMAIL. NO PAYPAL!

White trumpet lily (took three years before it blooms but worth it) - 3 people
Penstemon smallii - 2 people
Eastern penstemon - 2 people
Quince (red, thorns) - 2 people
Snapdragon mix - 2 people
Blue lobelia - 2 people
Pink cockscomb celosia - 2 people

posted on the seed exchange list. Yet I find that several people can't follow instructions while others don't even have a working email address.

Want to bang head against wall. Why is it so hard?

This post was edited by mori1 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 23:08

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

It doesn't need to be difficult. Most likely it is because you are using the GW email system rather than direct emails. The GW email system has problems and usually it is routed to the receiver's spam box unless they adjust their system accordingly. You may find some emails from people in your junk box too.

Most of the folks who run the big seed trade round robins and such post their email address on their post so people can contact them directly.

It would also help you if you posted on the most relevant exchange forums ie: annuals and perennials since you have so few offers to give/trade.

Just some suggestions to consider.

Dave

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your kidding right. This site is open so anybody and their dog can see it. There is no way I'm putting my email out there for spammers delight.

• lucillle
    10 years ago

"posted on the seed exchange list. Yet I find that several people can't follow instructions while others don't even have a working email address"

What a wonderful opportunity. You thought you would clear out your seed drawer (and I'm confident you will do that) but along the way you have the opportunity to help people understand directions, or show them how to get an email address.
    Seeds for their garden, yes, but if you help them with the other two, you could be helping them change their life.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Lucille. I actually had one person dictate to me how she wanted the seeds sent. Not very becoming.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Your kidding right. This site is open so anybody and their dog can see it. There is no way I'm putting my email out there for spammers delight.

Sorry i wasn't clear. Not saying to use your true email, real, family email, whatever you want to call it. What most do is set up a separate free email account on one of the many free sites that is exclusively for this sort of activity. A separate junk email account if you will.

But if that doesn't appeal then just keep in mind that if folks have trouble contacting you it is likely the GW mail system that is at fault, not the individual.

Dave

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave,

Something to keep in mind for next time.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

This may be a minor issue for some traders, but better IDs (scientific names for more exact specification) might help. "Quince" for instance could be one of the species in the Chaenomeles genus, Pseudocydonia sinensis, or maybe even Aegle marmelos. Also, some plants don't come true from seed. So seed from Lagerstroemia indica 'Whit VII' (Siren Red Crape Myrtle) do not produce Siren Red Crape Myrtles! They are simply plain Lagerstroemia indica. If the seeds are from a real Siren Red Crape, as opposed to a seedling you grew, then you could mention that the seeds came from Siren Red (but they wouldn't be Siren Red).

Whether or not these types of issues really make a lot of difference when it comes to your average GardenWeb seed trader, I don't know. I've offered things that were semi-rare before, that I expected people to want, and got zero interest. I've also posted stuff that was so common you could probably just go out in the yard and grab some anywhere, and people wanted it. Sometimes these things just aren't meant for us to understand.

And, BTW, I don't know the specifics regarding the lady that wanted to specify how you'd send the seeds, but, if it was in regards to packaging, seeds that are not protected during shipment are frequently a complete loss. IF that was the request, I don't really blame her (depending on how she asked of course). I would have no interest in getting seeds mailed to me in a plain envelope, even if they were seeds I had been looking for for a long time.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Brandon,
    I am providing the bubble envelope for all the seeds I send. She wanted them sent in a plain envelope. I will not do that. If you look at the list, you will see that when the scientific name then I provided it. As for the Siren crape myrtle seeds I stated it came out pink, because the one I grew from seed came out pink.
    WAS there anything else?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"She wanted them sent in a plain envelope."

Weird...maybe she was trying to hide her addiction. LOL

"If you look at the list, you will see that when the scientific name then I provided it."

Yes, I noticed the one you had.

"As for the Siren crape myrtle seeds I stated it came out pink, because the one I grew from seed came out pink."

Siren Red Crape Myrtle cannot be grown from seed. Guess that helps explain why yours was pink. That's what I was saying above.

But, as I said, I think it's hard to really know why sometimes there is a demand for seeds and sometimes there isn't. I've even seen people post offers for seeds and get no response, then a few days later someone else will offer the exact same thing and demand will be fast and overwhelming.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I got the Siren crape myrtle seeds I knew it wouldn't be red. It's a lovely pink which is what I was going for since my dwarf pink one died.

• peggy563
    10 years ago

Awesome! I'm just starting out and would appreciate anything you can spare. I'll send you an email.

• faithgrace29
    10 years ago

I'm interested in receiving any seeds if you have any left. Thank you!