Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
temperature for starting seeds

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 16:26

I want to start my tomato and my marigold seeds now. I have very little room anywhere to start them. I have an 8 foot x 8 foot greenhouse crammed full of plants and cuttings. I might be able to squeak some in somewhere. We only run the heat in there to keep it from freezing. We have had an exceptionally mild winter here. Or I could squeeze some in the house somewhere, but the window with the most room in front of it is north facing. We keep our house cool. It can be anywhere from 50 degrees for a low to about an average of 68 in the day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: temperature for starting seeds

Germination: soil temp - 75 which is why a heat mat works best and air temp isn't relevant.

Growing on: air temp 60-65 and no soil heat.

Dave

o

You emailed me about heat mats. I linked lots of discussions about them for you below. Walmart sells them here. So does Lowes and Home Depot once they have their seed starting supplies out. Otherwise many models are available online in a wide range of prices. Most all the seed companies sell one as do any of the sites that sell seed starting supplies. But shop around because the prices vary widely.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation heat mat discussions

o

That sound ideal. I kinda doubt anyone around here does that. I guess I will have to try some inside the house and some in the GH and see what happens.

o

Thanks digdirt for that link which should answer any questions about heat mats. I did an experiment recently with my pots on a heat mat. With overnight air temperatures dropping into the mid 40 degree range, I took the soil temperature of four inch and one gallon pots to see the soil temperature with the heat mat at 70 degrees. In every test the soil temperature was within 2 or 3 degrees of 70 degrees. Al

o

Thanks Al. Yeah even in the GH we have to use heat mats for germination.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here