Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nigella, CA blue bells, poppies: WS or direct sow?

Posted by started_with_bean Zone 5--MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 16:41

I'm planning on a container for some Nigellas, CA blue bells, and some poppies. Which would be better in Zone 5/6?

-WS and then plant out
-direct sow in mid March
-indoor sow and transplant out while they are small or in peat pots

Anyone with some experience with these flowers who can comment?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nigella, CA blue bells, poppies: WS or direct sow?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 20:39

Coming from a very different zone, nigella and annual poppies are two things I always direct sow.

California bluebell is common name for more than one plant -
California Bluebell Phacelia germinates at lower temps (55ish) so may do better outdoors, that's not a good temp for me to achieve anywhere indoors
California BlueBell Nemophila germinates better warmer, more like 70F

o

Another good reason for using the botanical names. Now you have my curiosity.

o

Sorry, it's definitely the Phacelia. Good to know about the lower germ. temps. for the Phacelia. So direct sow for that one then...

o

I can only speak about starting poppies. They are best direct sown. Start well before March. Now, or as soon your snow is less than 4" high, go out and throw the seed where you want poppies to grow. They don't mind freezing and they don't need to be covered by soil. When the day length and temperature are right, they will germinate. Next year shake the dried seed pods around wherever you want poppies and wait for them. Poppies are easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here