Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips on oriental poppy from seed?

Posted by garystpaul z4 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 16:50

I've tried these many times over the years and usually get through the germination stage just fine. It's the transplanting and growing on that cause problems. I understand that poppies resent transplanting, but what's one to do?

At the moment I have a nine-cell pack of papaver bracteatum (not orientale but related), all nicely sprouted with from 2 to 8 seedlings per cell. Any advice on how to proceed from this stage?

Any help appreciated.

Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips on oriental poppy from seed?

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 22:20

I've had the best success going out in wintertime and generously sprinkling those tiny seeds randomly in the flower bed. That reminds me.. I have another variety of poppy seed and need to go out in the cold and spread them around. I tried in the house in cell packs and ran into the same problem as you. They are hard to transplant, so winter-sowing directly outside has proven (at least for me) the only successful way I have grown them. The seeds are so small that they don't even need covered. The action of precipitation gets them where they need to go.

o

Thank you, benecjedi. There's wisdom in what you write. I routinely sow seeds of opium and other annual poppies that way with good success, usually in late winter right on top of the snow. It didn't occur to me to try the perennial types that way as well; perhaps waiting for early spring.

In any case, I have to deal with the ones in my cell packs. If you or anyone has advice on that, I'm still paying attention.

Thanks,
Gary

o

I sow mine in 1litre pots (5inch), thinning the seedlings till I have one really good one, then just tip the pot into the planting hole, keeping the rootball intact.

o

I agree. One plant per pot gives as little root disturbance as possible. Plant out when still young.

o

Exactly what I'm going to try. Thank you very much.

Gary

o

I grow lots of poppies and don't find them to be a problem if, as stated above, you thin to one in each pot and don't bother the root ball. So for the ones in your cell packs thin the seedlings to one in each pot. If you need to pot up just transplant the whole cell, as Campulana described.

I adore poppies, just wish the flowers would last a bit longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here