Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old peat pots

Posted by iris.g none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 16:58

For the first time, I am going to start seeds indoors.
I have read/heard several times that you should start the seeds in clean containers to prevent fungus.
My gracious father in law gave me all of his old peat pots. Some of these are several years old and have been stored in his garage.
Is there any risk in getting fungus (or any unwanted pests) from these old peat pots?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old peat pots

Simple answer is yes, very likely. Even new peat pots are prone to developing damp-off fungus because of the way they absorb and hold water. That's one reason why many won't use them.

Save them to use for older well-established plants if you want to use them.

I suppose you could soak them in a disinfecting solution and let them dry well before using - 1:10 bleach to water mix is frequently used to disinfect gardening equipment and such - but personally I'd just compost them if you can do it without upsetting him.

Dave

o

Here's a second vote for the compost pile.

o

Even if the peat pots were new they will still grow mold on them. I bought a bunch of them last year and I will never use them again. They are difficult to get moist to start with and if they dry out they are difficult to get remoistened.

o

Yes they're a great concept but in reality...meh.

o

Several years ago I moved from using peat pots to bottomless plastic pipe pots. The larger size gives me much bigger plants that can be transplanted without root disturbance. Setting the larger plants in a weed free bed greatly reduces the time and effort needed to maintain the plants to maturity.

I'm still using many of the same pots I made 5 years ago. The link below is from 2008 when I devised the system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipe Pots

o

Thanks for all the great input! Very helpful!
I really like the Pipe Pot idea!
Thanks!!

o
RE Old peat pots

Something cheap and easy to use for small pots are disposable plastic cups from the dollar store. Clear ones will last a year and colored ones last a few years. I stack them and run the tip of a hot soldering iron through the bottom to melt drainage holes. Using anything else to punch drainage holes results in cracked cups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here