Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

Sick Sweet 100's Seeds?

syntria
10 years ago

Hey!

So I've grown from seed for a few years, but generally all my seedlings get stunted and die or I fail to water them properly or whatever else. I've had a little luck with cantaloupes, cucumbers, and tomatoes from seed.

This year I want to do marigolds, milkweed, other flowers, tomatoes, tomitillos, peppers, runner beans, corn, beets, radishes, onions/potatoes (I've had good luck with them, of cours enot really 'seeds'), and several others.

This year I have a seed heating mat, dome, and trays and they are doing fantastic!

However my Sweet100's took over 10 days to germinate while everything else around it (flowers/tomatoes/peppers) germinated much sooner and when they did germinate, they have yellow leaves.

I have a few that have leaves that have little brown/dried up ends to them. I believe the soil is adequately moist without being wet, though perhaps the heating mat is to hot? I believe they're around 80-85 degrees.

{{gwi:215141}}{{gwi:215141}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardening vlogs

Comments (10)

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually he turned green! I guess it was he just popped up (literally) and hadn't had time to start photosynthesis.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Get them off the heat matt! - once they germinate, 65-70 is better for most seedlings.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Seedlings, once germinated, are never to be left on the heat mat. Heat mats are used for germination only.

Starting multiple types of seeds in the same flat is never recommended just for that reason. Next time use separate containers for each type of seed as the germination times are very different for different varieties.

Dave

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You guys just gave me a heartattack at work. Just got home. Didn't realize that the starters didn't benefit from the heat. Transplanting the strongest ones out now into their own cups.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

And remove the plastic dome. Plants need air circulation to prevent fungus growth.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yeah remove the dome. Domes are never used after germination. Putting a dome on almost guarantees damp-off will develop. Those real leggy seedlings in the tray need to be transplanted deep burying most all that stem up to just below the cotyledons.

Dave.

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I'm burying the tomato seeds deep, I know they can develop roots and aw, I was thinking consistent humidity would help but yeah. I'll just use that one as an extra germination dome I guess, drat lol.

Didn't have a very good system set up <_ luckily its still pretty early so i can start over once we move week>

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay have all the ones that have germinated planted in their own locations. Keeping so many semi organized is rough. x_x

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Hate to tell you this after all your work. But all of those should have been buried much deeper. Bury all the stem to just below the cotyledons. The weak stems can't support the head of the plant once any true leaf begins to develop.

And have you read all the info here on the needed fans now for adequate air circulation?

Dave

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I have a fan in the laundry room which is about 5x7 circulating the air.

Most of those you see are pepper plants/flower plants.

As far as the tomatoes, I was trying my best to transfer all of the original soil so I didn't disturb the roots and some of them I didn't get as deep as I had hoped (those trays are shallower) though they all got roots all the way to the bottom which seems good! But yes, wasn't sure I could bury all the way to the leaves, after they get stronger I'll do it. They are stiffening up now that they have soaked in the water. Its probably at the lowest 55 in that room at night, and closer to 70 most of the time. Is that okay/ The heatting pad is still on my seeds I'm germinating, and its helping give the small room a little warmth I can feel too.

Its getting down to 10-15 degree's on and off the last few days here. Burrr.

Ungarden related news, we're closing on our house Friday. Would an open shelf/table in a morning sun location + 2 T8 Lights be best inside or an enclosed closet with a fan/light?

Thank you for all the help guys, I know I must seem like a clutz. Sometimes I am and I just rush into things :

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden YouTube Channel