Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple seed sprouted. Now what?

Posted by sheemak (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 17:36

Hi,

I have kept some apple seeds in a damp paper towel in the fridge for around 10 days. One of them has grown a root now. Should I still keep it as is or should I plant it in soil? do I need to keep it cold?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple seed sprouted. Now what?

i am not an expert but i have tried to cold stratify many times with mixed success . when the roots begin to sprout the plant is vulnerable to damage and should be carefully planted in soil.after that keeping it cold may slow its growth so as to delay it till you can safely raise it outdoors. if leaves appear it must have sun. the trick to all this is timing so your seed sprouts when it is time to place it where it will grow. so much depends on the type of plant and the zone and what you plan to do with the plant.i would plant this apple in a small pot and keep it cold till leaves appear thenkeep it in the sunnyest window till you r last hard freeze has pased apple leaves can probably survive a lite frost .you might not know that while many fruits will grow true to the parent plant apple seeds are notorious for growing into different kinds of apples than what they came from

o
RE: Apple seed sprouted. Now what?

You should plant the seed with roots in potting soil right away. If the root is stuck in the paper, do not try and free it, you will just break it off. Plant the seed with a little bit of the paper attached. Actually if you plant fresh seed out of the apple stratifying is not a requirement and you can go ahead and plant the other seeds as well. For good reason most of us do not plant seeds to grow a fruiting apple tree as it will take up to 10 years to find if the fruit is worth eating, and the odds are against it. If you want a apple rootstock to grow a standard size apple tree and plan on grafting a good eating apple on to it, that will work. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here