Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricjo22

cold stratication problem

ricjo22
13 years ago

for 2 years i have collected seedfrom trees and fruit from the market to cold stratify. many of them germinate but most of them start too early. some i have saved but many die in the fridg.i guess i need to hold them a while in the fall befor begining the cold strat.any one out there with experience about how to do that i.e.type of medium , temp, moisture ,etc. i am sure every plant type will be a little different. i am mostly interested in trees and schrubs

Comments (10)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Are you telling us you get germination and then your seedlings die indoors or that your seeds aren't germinating.

The Clothiers database for sowing suggestions is quite good, although not all plants will be found there of course. If you don't know the botanical name of your plant/seed, look that up, then check the database and it will suggest the number of weeks and at what temp seed is best held.

The suggestions there are often for seed that has been dried. If you have seed that is immediatley fresh, or don't find the one you are looking for, come back here with a specific name and we can possibly help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothiers database

• ricjo22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry i wasnt clear . i have been placing fresh (slightly dried )seed in cold strat. in soil in the refrigerator in fall and by mid winter they begin to sprout a root which in iowa is way too soon. i have kept some alive in sunny windows till april. if i leave them in the fridg the root gets long and they break and die.cherry pear,locust, plum and hickory all did this. i need to figure a way to stall them so i get an emerging seed when its time to plant. thanks i will check out the link you provided

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Why don't you keep your seed as is and start your stratification later? Many seeds that need stratifying do NOT need it, if planted freshly harvested. Al

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Ricjo22, I have had that exact same thing happen to me. I was dumbfounded when they had germinated in my fridge. I seriously do not know what to do with the ones that sprouted, I just decided to leave them in the medium (paper towel and baggie) I stratified them in then when I felt comfortable with the weather I would pot them up and try to grow them. Though I am still extremely undecided to whether or not I am going to use them.

Since they like cool weather and germinated in cool weather I wonder if we can pot them now and then put them outside in the elements with some protection?? It is a thought!!

Since in my mind mine are already lost I may try that!!

• ricjo22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

country caroline it is worth a try. i dont think they will live in the fridg till spring but i have squirrels that investigate everything i put outside so i dont think it will work for me
    calistoga(Al) i get coflicting info about what needs to cold strat but this tomclothier database looks like it will be very helpful.planting fresh seed realy works but those grrrr squirrels.thanks

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well I have some pots out right now or maybe I should say containers that I have been wintersowing. Well they all have lids but ventilation. I wonder if you sowed your seedlings in one of those containers with a lid would your squirrels get into them. I have a ton of the little critters around here also but I also have a huge oak tree to keep them busy. They are getting FAT off that tree!!

{{gwi:215654}}

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Your picture looks more like Terrarium gardening than seed starting. Do you propose breaking the bottles to get them out? Al

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I have them split, and joined with a piece of tape. Maybe this picture will give you a better idea. This was done last year. It is actually called winter sowing. They even have an entire forum just for wsing. :)

{{gwi:215655}}

Here is another option. A lasagna pan inside a comforter bag. I cut vent holes in the bag at the top then drainage holes in the bottom. This picture was taken just a few minutes ago.

{{gwi:215656}}

• ricjo22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i do this using one of my aquariums. one in the garage for cold seeds and one inside for cuttings

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well this is how I plan to sow the seedlings that germinated in my fridge. I mean they must be ok in cool temps in order to have germinated in our refrigerators.

I think as long as you have drainage in your aquarium then I think that will be fine. Then maybe some type of cover to keep out the frost and the critters just add a hole in for a vent.

At least this is what I plan to do, my roots are getting long also. I feel as if I lose some of the root I might still be ok. Oh and still not one true leaf, I guess that is from the lack of light.