Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

Dwarf Poinciana seeds

shear_stupidity
11 years ago

I just received some Dwarf Poinciana seeds yesterday (Thank you, "TheTradition"!) He said they can be tricky to germinate and that a lot of people here might have suggestions.
I don't want to just poke them into some dirt and pray... which is my usual method for failing at growing things from seeds.
Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

They aren't quite hardy here so I don't have experience with them but the folks on the Florida gardening and Tropicals forums make it sound like they are easy from seed, these can even self sow to the point of being weedy in the right climate.

It seems as though the trick is keeping the moist seeds warm enough, bottom heat sounds helpful.

Soak seed in warm water for 24 hours before sowing. Sow into pots or trays of moist medium and barely cover with sprinkling of vermiculite, some light may be beneficial to germination.... keep at a constant temperature of approx 77F.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks... I'll try it!

• thetradition
    11 years ago

Well, did they grow?

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good news! (Especially for me with seeds)
    I nicked, soaked, and planted 20 seeds. 6 of them are doing great! I gave two of the seedlings to my sister in Tampa, and she says those are still doing well, too.
    Here's a pic. And thanks again!!