Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What media will you use to grow seedlings?

Posted by wordwiz (wordwiz@fuse.net) on
Sun, Jan 23, 11 at 19:06

I have three different grows to do: a commercial one where I will have between 500-1800 plants, seedlings to sell - probably 180 or less plants per variety and my personal garden.

I'm looking at several different ways:
Horticubes - For all my commercial tomato and pepper plants
128 or 200 cell nursery trays - commercial, but for Chard, Peas, Lettuce, Broccoli and Spinach
60 cell nursery trays - for sales of tomatoes, strawberries, broccoli, some peppers, basil.
36 cell trays - same as the 60 cell ones, plus cotton and other specialty plants, only charge more.
18 cell - super hot peppers, specialty plants
6" pots - only if my banana seeds germinate and grow!

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What media will you use to grow seedlings?

Oh wow, I do not plan to grow on that big of a scale. I am planning on growing about 150 types maybe close to 200 I am still iffy on that though. As far as the cells, blahhhh. That is like speaking a foreign language to me. I have used what I think you might be talking about and for me they are very small and time consuming to keep up in regards of watering. I hate to water anything.

Here is my growing media I am currently using. This picture was taken Friday and 20 more containers were added to this since the picture was taken. As of friday there was 82 types in the picture or out of frame of the picture but on the porch. I will continue to add more containers till march.

On the left is a lasagna pan inside a comforter bag.

As of 1-21-11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here