Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting tomato seeds

Posted by david8n 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 19:50

I am looking at starting my own tomato's this year. From what I have read after they are germinated on heat mats and have true leaves I can take the dome covers off and put them under grow lights at what point can I move them out into a unheated green house. tempature wise or should I move them into my garage which is about 50 degrees and under lights untill They can go in the garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting tomato seeds

Here is a link to the step-be-step FAQ here on how to grow tomatoes from seed. Be sure to check out all the other FAQs here too - just click on the FAQ button on the top of the forum page - as there is one on the lights needed, temperatures, transplanting once germinated (be sure to remove the cover as soon as they sprout), etc.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - How to Grow Tomatoes from Seed

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 18, 12 at 8:19

optimal temp for tomatoes is 70-75 degrees, with 65-85 being the good range (from jeavons "how to grow more veg")

I wouldn't want to put young plants at 50 degrees, although at the end of the season, old timers can take it, and the soil is probably still warmer than that.

In zone 4, you'll be waiting a long time to put them out. Here in zone 5 april is a no no for tomatoes without protections.

If you can provide a little heat to them in the garage till whatever your plant out date is, that might work if they have enough light. I'd try to keep them at a minimum of 60, but I'd aim for about 65-68, unless you want them to grow a little more, then 70 would likely have them growing at the expected rate, a bit cooler would slow them down.

o

I made room in the basement so I can have 6-9 flats under lights should be able to keep it at 60 in that room and put a fan on them 2 times a day. then in mid april I can put them under a coldframe or the greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here