Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

Bolivian rainbow pepper problems

LullabyF360
11 years ago

I have tried on numerous accounts to grow these fascinating peppers from seed. I have thought about doing the lazy thing and buying a seedling...that would be so if anybody in my area sold them. No one has heard of them. Therefore, my only choice is too grow them myself, BUT every single time I sow a seed it either
1. Does not sprout at all
or
2. It grows to about 2 inches in height and then dies
I have tried everything possible to weed out the problem but no luck. I have started the seeds in peat pellets and regular gardening soil. Both yield the same results. I have used clean rain water collected in a sterile container, because I knew in advance my tap water is too hard. Nada. They still curl up and die. I have also placed the seedlings under artificial lighting, in sun light, and even left them completely in the dark. Once again, they all kicked the bucket before getting more than two leaves.

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Well the first problem is most likely the mediums you are using. Peat pellets are notorious for germination problems - difficult to get wet, compacted layers, and once wet they stay too wet causing the seeds to rot or the rootlets to die.

Garden soil should never be used to germinate seeds indoors. Not only is is too compact and drains poorly but it contains all sorts of bacteria fungi that given indoor conditions quickly lead to molding seeds and seedling damp-off (that is likely what is killing your 2" seedlings).

For those reasons only a light soil-less seed starting mix is recommended for germination. Once the young seedlings develop a couple sets of true leaves they can be transplanted into any of the good commercial growing mixes.

So why not begin with the FAQ here called "How to Get Started" (linked below). Also be sure to check out the FAQs on lights, needed air circulation, and the one on damp off.

Peppers specifically take longer than many other things to germinate and they require warmer than normal soil temps (75-80 degrees) for best results. They also will not tolerate excessive watering.

All the great FAQs here should answer your questions in detail but if not, let us know.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am happy to announce I have a seed that started sprouting yesterday. It was planted 8 days ago. I am trying the seed starter mix. I will post another update in about a week or so :)

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright, that seed from the post above didn't make it. As stubborn as I am, I planted another. It is just now starting to poke its head through the surface. Someone in another forum asked me if I knew whether the seeds were good to begin with. They said to try the float or sink test. I don't out much faith in that test, simply due to the fact I was always told it's more of an old wives tale.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

If they sprout they are good. But once sprouted the most likely cause of death is damp-off. There is a FAQ here about it but the causes are too moist potting mix and insufficient air circulation.

Dave

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going nuts. My luck with these peppers is so slim it's aggravating & somewhat comical. I have lost yet another. It didn't even make it through the soil surface. At this rate, I will have to order more seeds.

• peps22
    11 years ago

Ironically I am two weeks deep and have had 0% germination of Bolivians. All my other pepper joe seeds including finicky habs are sprouting on time. I germinated and grew Bolivians three years ago with great success.

• LullabyF360
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my second year trying & pathetic luck. I can grow everything else with little to no problems :P weird how somethings you just cannot get to grow.

• Slappalachian
    10 years ago

Peppers are tricky LullabyF360. I am growing some bolivian rainbow chiles right now , Heres what I do. I use promix bx potting mix which is sterile, it is a bit chunky so I use a wire colander to make the perlite chunks smaller. Direct seed into a small plastic pot or or flat or cup with holes in the bottom for drainage, wet the potting mix and plant 1/4 inch deep. It is a must to use a heat mat for starting seeds. I use a great mat made by agritape, It has a copper probe and therostat to provide stable heat. Peppers germinate best between 75 and 85 degrees. I use a jiffy flat with a plastic top to hold in moisture, but plastic wrap will work. As soon as they come up I place them under a shop light that has 2 4 foot bulbs.Remove plastic wrap or cover. I use a phillips plant bulb, you can get the fixture and bulbs at home depot. I give them light 24 hours a day with the light several inches above the seedlings, the promix has enough fertilizer to get the plant along for several weeks, when I get at least 4 to 6 leaves I start giving them just a little food, I use bat guano with a NPK of 8-4-1 Fish emulsion mixed at 1/4 to 1/2 strength with get them growing good. Let the seedling almost dry out in between waterings. Let me know if this helps! Winston

• Slappalachian
    10 years ago

Peppers are tricky LullabyF360. I am growing some bolivian rainbow chiles right now , Heres what I do. I use promix bx potting mix which is sterile, it is a bit chunky so I use a wire colander to make the perlite chunks smaller. Direct seed into a small plastic pot or or flat or cup with holes in the bottom for drainage, wet the potting mix and plant 1/4 inch deep. It is a must to use a heat mat for starting seeds. I use a great mat made by agritape, It has a copper probe and therostat to provide stable heat. Peppers germinate best between 75 and 85 degrees. I use a jiffy flat with a plastic top to hold in moisture, but plastic wrap will work. As soon as they come up I place them under a shop light that has 2 4 foot bulbs.Remove plastic wrap or cover. I use a phillips plant bulb, you can get the fixture and bulbs at home depot. I give them light 24 hours a day with the light several inches above the seedlings, the promix has enough fertilizer to get the plant along for several weeks, when I get at least 4 to 6 leaves I start giving them just a little food, I use bat guano with a NPK of 8-4-1 Fish emulsion mixed at 1/4 to 1/2 strength with get them growing good. Let the seedling almost dry out in between waterings. Let me know if this helps! Winston

• lylehale
    10 years ago

I have been growing them for a year. I ordered from online (dunno where it was) and they sprouted easily. They were slow growing last season and I hae been overwintering them on my sunporch along with all my other exotic hot peppers. My question is they have almost no purple coloration on the stem and bright green leaves. Is it nutriet or light thats causing this? Is there a specific nutriet to add to soil to make them really purpley?