Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Hanging basket plant from SEED

Posted by flowersnhens Maine 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 21:02

Hello everyone. I haven't been on for a while. It is getting to be that time of year again. I need some new ideas. Can you tell me what plants you have grown from seed that do well in hanging baskets...other than the obvious..wave petunia, impatiens, lobelia and blackeyed susan vines. What was the easiest and best for your baskets??? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Hanging basket plant from SEED

Well first I'll tell you I haven't tried blackeyed susan vine, but I will now. Some of things I have tried in baskets are, trailing lantanas, periwinkles, million bells (want those), violas, oranamental peppers, nastutiums, and even some morning glories. I am very interested to see what ideas others have. I am going to keep an eye on your thread. Josie

o

Hi Josie, Yes, the Blackeyed susan vine in a hanging basket is gorgeous !! AND a big seller too. I put 4 - 5 in a 10 or 12 inch basket. You have to pinch the top once they have their true leaves so they branch out and get nice and full. You also have to keep the baskets a good distance away from one another or they will grow into one another and you will have a tangled mess of baskets. A true winner though.!!

o

Flowersnhens-
The black eyed susan vine in a basket sound like it would awesome!!! Now I want to try that this year, I usually grow them on a trellis. How many true leaves do you let develop before you pinch? What a good idea, thanks! I have never grown anything except Nasturtiums from seed for my baskets, usually I just but the usual Wave Petunias, Dichondra, etc...

o

Ooh, I ordered some cypress vine this year (another type of ipomoea)...maybe I will try that in a basket too:) I have some left over Glory Vine seeds from last year...I didn't have any luck with them...maybe i will try them in a basket. I love planning and new ideas, how exciting!!!

o

I have some yellow BES seed from a previous year...the hanging basket sounds good...I wonder how it would look with a combo of BES and Cypress Vine? I love yellow and red together. Anyone try it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here