Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gltrap54

Seeds Requiring Light.........

gltrap54
11 years ago

When annual flower seeds require light to germinate, how much light are we talking. Some seeds require 100-400fc, so would a 100w incandescent bulb (ie,137fc) be adequate?

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Just normal daylight should give you enough. Even in winter we have both day and night. Al

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al! Guess my question should have been, "How do I supply required light when these seeds are in a propagation chamber where natural light isn't available?"

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

"How do I supply required light when these seeds are in a propagation chamber where natural light isn't available?"

That would all depend on your chamber and how easy it would be to hang a light in there.

With light requiring flowers I find it much easier to do them on a heat mat out under one of my strip lights rather than in the prop chamber.

Dave

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave! I've attempted to use an incandescent bulb in the past with very limited success..... Using my strip lights makes better sense, but I'm wondering about being able to control my germination temps without being enclosed... I'll have to go back to the drawing board & revamp my elaborate propagation chamber! LOL

{{gwi:216331}}

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hmmm, I think I'd cut s couple of round holes in the top (save the cutouts to re-plug the holes as needed) and insert a couple of socket bases with high-output CFL bulbs

Just make sure the socket bases you buy match the bulb base size.

Cheapest way to go. Think that would work? Alternative is one of the much more expensive T5 set-ups

Dave

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey we go Dave! Had this 4 bulb T8 so I put it to use! Only drawback is too much heat is being generated (staying around 78F). May need to remove a couple of bulbs.......

{{gwi:216332}}

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

Remove the box for better air circulation, and lower the light fixture or raise the plants so the plants are 1" from the lights. They're too far and will be leggy. Any light is good for germination if you just sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil.
    Good luck. Seed starting doesn't have to be complicated unless you're into that sort of thing.

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

susanzone5, thanks for the tip, but I'm only using the germination station for germinating. As soon as the seeds germinate they'll go under lights before they have a chance to become leggy. The covers on my trays prevent the light from being lowered (see my first pic ) ...... Yeah I know, those are covers for grafts or cuttings, not seedlings......

Yuuup, I'd say my operation is about as simple as it gets.... :)

This post was edited by Handsome54 on Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 19:21