Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1chemyst

Morning Glorys

a1chemyst
14 years ago

Bought some seeds, blah blah blah... i have a small 'professional' (what ever that means) seed planter... 72 small disks that should b hydrated then become planting soil, assumingly has some sort of horomone blah. wondered if i should put multiple seeds in one little section... not very large planting sections like 2-3 inches.. i figured 2 or 3 seeds would do per section. The planter has a clear plastic cover to keep humid. how long should i wait before transplanting. another question, can i grow them inside, sure i can ive read some stuff, wondering if anyone has some tips. its a cosmic mix of seeds so many diffrent types, if referring to types then please describe physical apperence so i can tell....

Comments (16)

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

I am a little confused on what kind of starter kit you have...is it like a Jiffy pellet? Anyway, I can tell you that before you plant the morning glory seeds you should soak them in water for at least 24 hours, this will help in getting them to germinate. If it is a jiffy pellet that you have, i would probably plant two seeds per pellet, and thin them out as needed. As soon as the seeds start to germinate, then you should take the plastic cover off to allow for air flow, or you will get damping off. You can surely start them inside, just as long as you have adequate sunlight, or a supplemental light source. Just a tip from my own experience...don't start them too early because the vines will get all tangled up with each other, making it very hard to get them apart for transplanting outside (usually transplant 4 to 6 weeks after sowing). I usually start most of my seeds earlier then the specified "transplant date" on the seed pack, but morning glories are one of the ones I wait for. Good Luck!

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Professional means nothing at all--it's selling hype.

What you've bought is a tray with humidity cover and peat pellets--something a professional wouldn't use. Not they are aren't all right for planting, but not what I myself would use. Others here use them.
    Peat pellets contain no hormones. All they are is compressed peat with an outer mesh covering. You soak them and they expand.
    You only put 1 seed in each pellet especially if you have mixed seeds. You could put a couple if it were one variety. With mixed seed you may put a fast growing tall one with a big root system with a small, slow growing one. Your slow growing one would be crowded out.
    These window sill trays are meant for growing inside, but you have to give the plants heat and light, so you have to pick a window or have a light system.
    Remove the humidity cover when the seed sprouts. When they are 4 or 5 inches tall transplant into pots or plant outside if danger of frost permits. Usually an annual mix like you have are some of the faster growing annuals in all different heights

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Definitely soak the seeds in water overnight. They will at least double in size and might even split. I wouldn't put more then 2 per "pot". They are fast to germinate and grow quite fast as well. As the other posts stated remove the cover when they sprout and a fan set on low is a good idea. I don't know what zone you are in but if it's a cooler area I'd wait to start them unless you have space and very good lighting. If you don't have good lighting the vines will become leggy and weak.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Having grown up on a farm, I wonder why anyone in their sane mind would want morning glories. They were the "enemy" choking tomatoes, tobacco, corn, soybeans, anything they met upon the dirt path called a row. Although, there always was a rumor that smoking the seeds would give one a high. tongue in cheek>

Mike

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

There was supposed to be a

and a tag around my message. Apparently, this software filters them out if I do not include spaces.

Mike

• molly_and_me
    14 years ago

oilpainter How do you start your seeds? I use the peat pellets but am looking for another method.

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

I always have luck starting my seeds in cell packs (6 packs) filled with pro mix, or any peat mixture. I have never really had luck with the pellets.

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    14 years ago

I just bought those Bio sponges. Anyone have luck with those? I usually use Miracle Gro Seed Starting mix in little peat pots and then put them outside in the ground, but I bought seeds this year that I want to put in one or two Bio sponges each as opposed to group plantings which I've always done in the past.

Morning Glories can be beautiful, but I've learned to plant them in a pot on my patio to grow up a trellis of some sort. That way when the seeds all fall down, I just sweep them up. I have another area where I planted them in the ground and OH, BOY did they spread. Ugh. I plan on plucking them out of the ground this spring when I start to see them popping up everywhere! :)

Alicia

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:216370}}

• a1chemyst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well, yes, jiffy planter... i realise its just something to get you to buy it, just to help identification... erm so 1 per thingy... would it work better to use other dirt.. of any kind.... like reg. dirt?

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I plant my seeds in recycled plastic mushroom boxes that I have punched holes in the bottom of. They are just a nice size to hold a package of seeds. I use recycled grocery store clear bakery containers as tray and humidity cover, or regular trays with a humidity cover, until they sprout.

When They get their second set of true leaves(the first leaves are seed leaves)I transplant them into pots or packs--plastic containers that have compartments. I use pro mix or a soilless mix for cuttings and seeds.

These containers I use over. Before I put these away for the summer and winter, I wash everything with soap and a little bleach--to kill anything that may be there. Beytter to be safe than sorry

• Pam Honeycutt
    14 years ago

I plant my morning glories in styrofoam cups with holes poked in the bottom. They are not invasive here and I spend a lot of time in my yard so if I do get something that is invasive i can trim it back or whatever to keep it
    from taking over. I'm going to try some up next to my block wall this year as I'd love to cover it up.

Happy Gardening,
    Pam

• Lanette Nelson
    11 months ago

wordwiz, it sounds like you're confusing morning glories with bindweed. Not the same thing.

• zen_man
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Hi Lanette,

"it sounds like you're confusing morning glories with bindweed."

Maybe not. Morning glories are illegal in the state of Arizona because they are considered to be an invasive plant.

However, that conversation was 13 years ago, and wordwiz may not see your comment.

ZM

• Lanette Nelson
    11 months ago

Hi zen-man,

I realize it is an old post but I just had to respond. I looked up the Arizona status, and it appears from an article I read that the Arizona Dept of Agriculture is also misinformed. Some of their native morning glory species are on both the "rare/imperiled plant list" and the invasive/noxious weed list. Huh? Can't be both. They are also either confusing them with bindweed or other noxious weeds. Morning glories get an undeserved bad rap, unfortunately. Here's the article: http://www.desertsurvivors.org/why-we-cant-sell-native.html#:~:text=Despite%20the%20rare%20status%20of,banned%20from%20sale%20in%20Arizona.

• docmommich
    11 months ago

If you read the article carefully, it identifies clearly that there are some foreign species of Morning Glory that are noxious invasives. Unfortunately, the native species got inappropriately roped into the same category. That does not mean that the foreign species is not of serious concern. It is a very unfortunate mix-up, and the article points that out, clearly.

Martha

• zen_man
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Hi Lanette,

"Some of their native morning glory species are on both the "rare/imperiled plant list" and the invasive/noxious weed list. Huh? Can't be both. They are also either confusing them with bindweed or other noxious weeds. Morning glories get an undeserved bad rap, unfortunately."

Morning Glories may not deserve their bad reputation, but the reality is that they do have a bad reputation, not just in the United States, but in many parts of the world.

Many years ago, when I was deciding on what plant to breed as a hobby, I seriously considered Morning Glories (Ipomea). I was concerned that none of the seed-catalog morning glories had yellow or orange in their color range, but I thought that by resorting to inter-generic hybridization, I could get the missing warm color range and get a full rainbow of colors in Morning Glories.

However, it did concern me that the Japanese morning glory hybridists had not achieved yellow or orange in their centuries of work, even though they did have browns and tans. I did have serious doubt that I could achieve in a few years what the Japanese breeders had failed to achieve in centuries of work with Morning Glories. So I "chickened out" and went with zinnias, with the hope that genetic scientists would add the missing blues (so far they have not).

I have not even tried to get a blue zinnia (Heavenly Blue Morning Glories look great) and most of my zinnia progress has been in getting new flower forms, like this example. As always, you can click on a photo in Houzz to open a larger version, which you can close by clicking on the "X".

For me, it has been fun breeding new zinnias.

ZM