Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Considering Pro-Mix BX, Bottom Heat, Fan

Posted by mikep_cfl z9b FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 21:41

Hello everyone -

I started nearly 200 Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) seeds last year but lost nearly all of them over a 6-month period. The seeds germinated easily in city water, then I very carefully transplanted them into a fast-draining mix. I used clay pots.

I lost most of them due to what appeared to be damping-off. I realize now I didn't fertilize adequately and probably over-watered.

This year I plan to use Pro-Mix BX, bottom heat and I plan to install a small fan for air circulation. I can't see any reason to grow under lights because I have sunny windows and/or I can take the plants outside.

I also plan to sow the seeds directly in the mix to avoid having to transplant to flats although I don't think the transplaning that was required last year damaged the seedlings.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
MikeP
Central Florida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Considering Pro-Mix BX, Bottom Heat, Fan

Bottom heat MAY help germination, but after germination the heat will tend to INCREASE the possibility of damping off. Over watering is a possible cause and I would only water from the bottom. A fan should help. Even though you use a sterilized soil, fungus is everywhere, so your growing conditions should not FAVOR the growth of fungus. Al

o

Al brings up a very important point that I'll repeat yet again. Turn OFF the heat once the seeds have germinated! Not only will you reduce the chances of disease, but your seedlings will be stockier (a good thing) and sturdier.

I always germinate my seeds in a shallow seed flat and transplant from that into waiting containers, usually cell packs of some kind. The seed flats are heated but the transplants are not.

I think your plan sounds like a good one.

o

Thanks to both of you. Good thing you mentioned turning off the heat; that was one of the issues I forgot to ask about.

MikeP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here