Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Dog Ate My Avocado Seedling

Posted by foggymango SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 22:28

I planted an avocado seed that sprouted very well in water and continued to grow when I transplanted it to a 5-gallon container. Then, I placed it outside where it could receive sunshine.

A month ago, I found the plant tipped over and all the leaves were removed (my playful puppy and his playmate next door had taken an interest in the plant.) So I moved the plant inside the house and placed it in a room next to a bright sunny window (not too much sun). The problem now is that the top tip of the little green main stem started to brown (about an inch). So, I cut off the brown part, but more of it started to brown. I'm wondering if it will brown all the way down to its root if I keep chopping at the browning portion?

The stem still seems green, and I continue to water it regularly. A small offshoot started at the base of the stem, which I removed, since I didn't think it was appropriate for an offshoot to be developing there, but at least I know it is still alive.

How hardy are these avocado tree seedlings? What might I expect with this little plant? It seems to want to hang on, but I don't want offshoots growing in all the wrong places? Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Dog Ate My Avocado Seedling

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have similar problems with squirrels and chipmunks uprooting seedlings and plants. I know how frustrating it can be to nurture a plant and then see it wither.

I have no experience with Avocado trees, but I have seen other trees send up a new shoot from the trunk when the main trunk dies. That may be what your tree is doing. If the shoot is near the roots, you may eventually have a strong tree from it. Select one sprout and trim off all of the others. Or you may want to just start over with a new seed and use this one to experiment with bonsai.

Your title brought back a memory from long ago. I once told my teacher that the dog ate my homework. The teacher didn't believe my made-up story. She must have seen the TV show that gave the idea to me. I was not destined to be a con-man.

o

Just let your plant do its own thing, no more cutting until you give it a chance to gain strength and you see what it wants to do. Avocado grow very fast so you won't wait long. Al

o

You can put something like chicken wire around to keep your dog away from eating your tender plant again. About all it will be good for is looks anyway. My wife seems to love them also but now I have a Mango tree that has frozen back so is of no use as a fruit tree due to the bitterness of fruit from a mango that has died back to the ground but she like to look and seen this tree which has now become a bush with many trunks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here