Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foggymango

My Dog Ate My Avocado Seedling

I planted an avocado seed that sprouted very well in water and continued to grow when I transplanted it to a 5-gallon container. Then, I placed it outside where it could receive sunshine.

A month ago, I found the plant tipped over and all the leaves were removed (my playful puppy and his playmate next door had taken an interest in the plant.) So I moved the plant inside the house and placed it in a room next to a bright sunny window (not too much sun). The problem now is that the top tip of the little green main stem started to brown (about an inch). So, I cut off the brown part, but more of it started to brown. I'm wondering if it will brown all the way down to its root if I keep chopping at the browning portion?

The stem still seems green, and I continue to water it regularly. A small offshoot started at the base of the stem, which I removed, since I didn't think it was appropriate for an offshoot to be developing there, but at least I know it is still alive.

How hardy are these avocado tree seedlings? What might I expect with this little plant? It seems to want to hang on, but I don't want offshoots growing in all the wrong places? Any tips?

Comments (3)