Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rockwool vs Seed starter mix

Posted by mikee77 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 22:41

HI guys. I start my garden plants from seed in my basement, and usually use seed starting (soil) mixes with moderate success. I was considering switching to rockwool cubes this year, and was curious to get feedback from others on this. I know success will vary some by plant- I am talking about tomatoes, green beans, peas, garbanzo beans, melons, cucumber, spinach, eggplant and asparagus.

Any opinions/experience with rockwool cubes versus seed starter mixes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rockwool vs Seed starter mix

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 11:39

with rockwool cubes versus seed starter mixes

I have used both and feel the two are so different that they really can't be compared over all. For hydroponic growing rockwool obviously wins over mixes although there are better than rockwool hydro plugs available too..

But for growing on in soil (non-hydro), mixes are far superior IMO.

Compare germination percentages - only marginally better with mixes but when it comes to transplanting them for growing on, both root development and proper moisture level problems arise with the rockwool when it is surrounded by soil.

These problems can be adjusted for with some plants - those normally grown from transplants like tomatoes and peppers - but if you are also going to be growing things that are normally direct seeded and NOT transplanted - like beans, peas, spinach, cukes and such - then their growth in rockwool is only more stunted after transplanting than it would be if grown in mix.

Dave.

o
RE: Rockwool vs Seed starter mix

Thanks for the response. That answers my question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here