Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much should i dilute my fertilizer for my seedlings

Posted by novicegardenerevan 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 23:32

Hi i recently bought some liquid fish emulsion for my seedlings at what ratio should i dilute it to?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much should i dilute my fertilizer for my seedlings

I don't use fish emulsion as fertilizer but I know many people do. Supposed to be good stuff.

When growing most plants I use the Miracle Gro granulated 24-8-16 fertilizer at the regular strength, but for seedlings I dilute it to 1/4 regular strength for about the first month. I think full strength might burn the tiny seedling roots. Seems to work well, haven't had any problems yet.

Good luck.

o

I use it at regular strength as for houseplants-our brand suggests 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, trying to fertilize every other week and being careful not to overwater. I know people who use a more dilute solution with every watering. I'm really not sure you can 'overdo it' with fish.
Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 23:04

novice, I dilute whatever product I'm using to 1/4 strength for seedlings too. Slowly, I'll work up to half. Rarely do I use stronger than half strength on containerized plants either indoors or out no matter how mature. Nothing I'm growing has ever complained :)

It's hard to undo too much, you could always add more if your plants are showing symptoms of needing something more.

o

I 2nd and 3rd what others have said.

1/4 dilution then move up to 1/2 dilution.

Keriann~

o

With granular fertilizer it's better reduce the dosage on seedlings and young plants. Older plants can take larger amounts of fertilizer but tender seedlings would have some issues with granular fertilizers mixed at "full strength".

Not sure about fish emulsion but might be a good idea to take it easy the first few fertilizer applications until some good roots develop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here