Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwwesty71

New to starting seed indoor greenhouse questions.

vwwesty71
12 years ago

Hello everyone I just want to start out saying I'm a new member to gardenweb but have visited the site before and loved all the useful information on here. so to get to my questions: last year I bought a cheap $20 indoor greenhouse from fleet farm with the plastic cover over it. In case your interested here is a link - http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/lawn-garden/lawn-garden-tools/insideout-ultimate-greenhouse . last year i bought a heating mat for the seeds and i put it on the bottom and kept the seeds on the mat till they germinated which worked great. after that i moved them towards the top under the lights i installed. the peppers i started stayed quite small about 2-3 inches after 6 weeks and the tomatoes were not as big as i had hoped about 3-4 inches after 4 weeks but I'm new to this. is this normal? i am going to start quite earlier maybe the peppers the start of February and the tomatoes about mid Feb. i noticed that the temperatures in the green house fluctuated between 80 during the day and around 55 at night is this too much of a fluctuation or is this OK? Should i be more concerned about the temp of the soil? And if the temperatures need to be regulated better is there a better way to heat the bigger greenhouse then a heat mat? Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler