Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Store-bought seeds

Posted by sarah_2010 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 0:15

What kind of seeds can I propagate from grocery stores-preferably fruits?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Store-bought seeds

If you are talking about the seeds from store bought produce about the only 2 I know of is an avocado from the pit and a pineapple if you cut of the top and use that.

As for the rest I would have to say none, or at least none that I know of. All fruit plants have been hybridized. Many have been grafted to produce the plant they get fruit from.

Although fruit has seeds, some are sterile and the rest will not resemble the fruit you bought or will not produce any fruit. Years ago when my son was small he planted an orange seed. We had it for 5 years before it got too unwieldly to keep. It never had 1 flower and I don't think it ever would have produced any.

If you want to grow fruit buy the plants.

o

I've grown acorn squash, cantaloupe, bell pepper and cukes from seeds from supermarket produce. Acorns and canta melon were OK, bell pepper and cukes were a wipeout. Since the seed is "free" it can't hurt to try.

o

Hey, Tomtuxman....I agree with you. If you have the time and patience, you might get something interesting, even if it did not match the hybrid plant. Have you ever planted dried beans? They are cheap, and I read somewhere that if you harvest them early, you can use them as green beans. That would be a huge savings compared to seed packets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here