Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy large capacity starting trays?

Posted by tlowery04 6b/7a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 0:47

I recently saw a large capacity starting tray at a nursery and was intrigued. I did a little research online and found that you can get starting trays up to like 512 cells or something like that. Now, other than ebay, does anyone have any idea where i could procure large capacity seed starting trays?

Thank you in advance,

Trent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy large capacity starting trays?

I believe those trays are called plug trays. You may want to try Horticultural Products and Services (HPS)if you are looking for a large quantity.
Karen

o

Plug trays are generally all the same size, as they fit the equipment being used to handle them. The number of plugs per tray can vary in most cases from 144 to 512. Obviously the size of the plug must also vary in size. These plug trays are not practical for home production without the equipment required to fill them and seed them. Al

o

International Greenhouse Company also has many different supplies. Worth checking out. :)

- Steve

o

I respectfully have to disagree with Al about the practicallity for home production. I have been using 72 count plug trays for years. They are not hard to fill and you can start many plants in a small area. I love using them as it doesn't take large quantities of mixture. The sources quoted above are good. Just do a Google search for plug trays and you should be able to find anything you need. Just make sure that they are good quality and not the flimsy ones.

o

I had never heard of a "plug tray" of less than 144 which is what my supplier lists. Larger than that he skips to "liners". A 72 plug tray would be quite usable for the proficient home propagator. Al

o

McConkey lists plug trays of 50, 72, 98, 105, 128, 162, 288, 400, and 512 cells per a tray, with various depths available.
They are also much cheaper than most retail online sellers.

o

I wouldn't call myself a proficient home propagator but I do like my 50 cell plug trays. I've got two hundred tomatoes started in one. A like number of peppers in another. Right now I have over a thousand seeds started in a space about eighteen inches by five feet....and feel like I'm wasting a lot of space that could be starting even more seeds.

o

californian do you have a website for McConkey? Al

o

Calistoga, here is a link. But they sell wholesale so you would have to buy a one case minimum unless they happened to have an open case. I buy my plastic pots from their warehouse in Garden Grove, CA, and pick them up myself at their will call, but they have other locations.

Here is a link that might be useful: McConkey growers supplies

o

This is there web page

Here is a link that might be useful: McConkeys

o

Calistoga,

I recently placed a order with the GreenhouseMegastore. They are a division of International Greenhouse Supply. Thanks for the link-Steve.

They carry smaller hobby packs (10 count) of seed starting trays and inserts. Shipping was perhaps a little pricey but I liked the option of the smaller packs.

Karen

o

Thanks for the references. The more sources the better. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here