Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunrisesaloon

Datura "Devils Trumpet" - Cuttings VS Seeds

Sunrise Vineyards
11 years ago

Garden Web Friends,
With the many beautiful varieties of Datura available (such as the variety known as Datura metel Double Purple "Blackcurrant Swirl"), does anyone know if they will grow "true from seed" or do they have to be grown from cuttings to get a true identical flowering plant?

I have seen many different seed varieties available on eBay, but I am concerned about the seedling not growing true to the parent, or being completely different from the parent altogether.I have also noticed that many catalogs are selling the Datura plant itself and not the seeds. I was thinking that it was because they were cutting grown, however I was told by a local garden center that they or nothing more than seed grown and sold in pots to increase profits.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Will a specific Datura variety grow "True from seed?

Thanks,
Kevin

PS - For several years now, I have grown two of the single pedal white Datura inoxia "Moonflowers" which have come up from their tubers (and not from re-seeding) for several years now. When the original seedlings were grown, these two plants grew up against the foundation of my house. All the rest of the original seedlings died during the first winter. Apparently, there is enough residual heat radiating from my basement walls to keep the tubers of the two plants alive during the winter months. I live in Western New York near Buffalo.

Below is a picture of the Datura metel "Double Purple" that I am interested in growing.

Comments (4)