Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kywildcat2

What needs pinching?

kywildcat2
18 years ago

Please forgive if this off-topic for the forum! I've noticed that the guides suggest "pinching back for bushiness" for most all plants. I would have thought that would deter a vine from climbing. Are there any that definetely shouldn't be pinched back? Thanks! : )

Comments (7)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

You can pinch anything you want, but it might be undesirable for some plants. I would suggest not pinching a tree, for example! Many hybrid bedding plants no longer need pinching to produce good branching. Impatiens and Wave Petunias are two that I grow and they do all their own branching without my help.

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

When do you start pinching? After the seedling has how many true leaves?

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Definitely pinch back zinnias or you'll get one long stem. I would think most of the annuals (except single stem sunflowers) should be pinched back to create bushiness. Check the back of the seed packet sometimes this info is there. I usually don't pinch my marigolds and they grow just fine so I think it depends on the plants.

If you buy any annual packs with flowers already on them, pinch off the flowers when you plant the annuals in your garden. This gives them a boost while growing so they won't have to waste energy on the flowers when they should be gettting established.

• carolacl
    16 years ago

I've been looking in the archives, but wanted more answers. I'm starting lots of things by seed, but am usually a bit timid about pinching back, so I looked online to find a source that would list the annuals that benefit from pinching. Here's the list of plants I've got together so far:

Ageratum (Ageratum Houstonianum)
    Aster (one-time in late spring/early summer)
    Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia)
    Browallia
    Calendula or Pot-marigold
    Chrysanthemum, Annual (only before flower buds appear)
    Coleus
    Cosmos
    Impatiens
    Lobelia
    Marigold
    Morning Glory
    Petunia
    Phacelia
    Phlox (one-time in late spring/early summer, hope they mean the annual varieties...)
    Pinks (Dianthus chinensis)
    Salpiglossis
    Schizanthus
    Snapdragon
    Sweet Alyssum
    Verbena
    Zinnia

Annuals that should NOT be pinched back:
    Balsam
    Cockscomb (Celosia)
    Everlasting
    Poppy
    Stock

If anybody has to add to either list (or disagrees with anything), the ones that like to be pinched, or that do NOT like it, could they list them for me? To specify, I'm talking about plain pinching to develop a bushier habit---not deadheading. Thanks. :-) Carola

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Since you may be doing other things than flowers or in case a vegetable grower reads this, I will add that vegetable plants require no pinching. Indeed, most will be harmed by it. ;)

Dave

• carolacl
    16 years ago

yes, please do. I only have the tomatoes on the like pinching list---but it would be great to add to my "do" and "don't" notes even regarding vegetables and herbs...
    Carola