Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What needs pinching?

Posted by kywildcat2 z6 KY (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 06 at 6:06

Please forgive if this off-topic for the forum! I've noticed that the guides suggest "pinching back for bushiness" for most all plants. I would have thought that would deter a vine from climbing. Are there any that definetely shouldn't be pinched back? Thanks! : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What needs pinching?

You can pinch anything you want, but it might be undesirable for some plants. I would suggest not pinching a tree, for example! Many hybrid bedding plants no longer need pinching to produce good branching. Impatiens and Wave Petunias are two that I grow and they do all their own branching without my help.

o

When do you start pinching? After the seedling has how many true leaves?

o

Definitely pinch back zinnias or you'll get one long stem. I would think most of the annuals (except single stem sunflowers) should be pinched back to create bushiness. Check the back of the seed packet sometimes this info is there. I usually don't pinch my marigolds and they grow just fine so I think it depends on the plants.

If you buy any annual packs with flowers already on them, pinch off the flowers when you plant the annuals in your garden. This gives them a boost while growing so they won't have to waste energy on the flowers when they should be gettting established.

o

I've been looking in the archives, but wanted more answers. I'm starting lots of things by seed, but am usually a bit timid about pinching back, so I looked online to find a source that would list the annuals that benefit from pinching. Here's the list of plants I've got together so far:

Ageratum (Ageratum Houstonianum)
Aster (one-time in late spring/early summer)
Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia)
Browallia
Calendula or Pot-marigold
Chrysanthemum, Annual (only before flower buds appear)
Coleus
Cosmos
Impatiens
Lobelia
Marigold
Morning Glory
Petunia
Phacelia
Phlox (one-time in late spring/early summer, hope they mean the annual varieties...)
Pinks (Dianthus chinensis)
Salpiglossis
Schizanthus
Snapdragon
Sweet Alyssum
Verbena
Zinnia

Annuals that should NOT be pinched back:
Balsam
Cockscomb (Celosia)
Everlasting
Poppy
Stock

If anybody has to add to either list (or disagrees with anything), the ones that like to be pinched, or that do NOT like it, could they list them for me? To specify, I'm talking about plain pinching to develop a bushier habit---not deadheading. Thanks. :-) Carola

o

Since you may be doing other things than flowers or in case a vegetable grower reads this, I will add that vegetable plants require no pinching. Indeed, most will be harmed by it. ;)

Dave

o

yes, please do. I only have the tomatoes on the like pinching list---but it would be great to add to my "do" and "don't" notes even regarding vegetables and herbs...
Carola

o

I only have the tomatoes on the like pinching list..

No, please. Put tomatoes on the do not pinch list. ;) Pinching of tomatoes is not generally recommended as there is little if any benefit and it can sharply reduce production. One first has to know the type (indeterminate or determinate) and exactly where to pinch. Pruning (vs. pinching) a well grown plant is a different matter completely.

Lots of discussions on this in the past over on the growing tomatoes forum. ;).

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here