Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Containing light from filtering out

Posted by obrionusa 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 6:40

I'm using shop lights to start to grow my seedlings and was wanting to contain the light. Something to go from the light down to the plant trays at an angle. This would keep the light from filtering out on the sides. I would keep the ends open with a small fan running. First thought was foil, but that is too flimsy. Then I thought maybe some alumium insulation board. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Containing light from filtering out

Shop lights or fluorescent lights in general are minimal for a light source and will need to be kept about 2 inches above the seedlings. I don't see a problem with light loss in such a small space. Al

o

Use one of the reflective emergency blankets you can often find in the camping section of sporting goods stores.

o

I had just posted some pictures of my set-up in a related thread below (use the link below to view it). This uses the reflective foam board insulation, as I wanted the double-bonus of hopefully containing a little more heat from the bulbs. (And according to the helpful people on this forum, they don't believe it will go up in flames, LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum Link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here