Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you water your onion plants?

Posted by obrionusa 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 7:27

Do you water your onion plants from the top or bottom? I have been watering them from the top and I think I'm watering too much as some appear to be getting dampening off issues. The onion seedlings are about 10 days old and about ready for first trimming. Oh, and I used 1/2 seed starting and 1/2 potting mixed together in a 3" deep O.J. container.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you water your onion plants?

I bottom water mine.

I would get a fan on them if they are too wet and try to get them dried out.

I hope that helps.

Keriann~

o

I top water because I don't like holes in the container to make a mess on the window stool. I poke a hole in a bag with a safety pin to make a very fine spray and usually water along the edge of the container only, which makes most of the water flow down to the bottom and then spread from there, which has the same effect as bottom watering.

o

That seems like a lot of work. I have hundreds of seedlings and that would take me all day. : )

You are still missing the main advantage of bottom watering. The seedlings suck up the water they need, instead of us pouring water over them and seeing what pours through and what the soil soaks up.
I also believe watering from top encourages dampening off becuase the top is usually wetter than the bottom most of the time VS. bottom watering (top layer dries out faster and longer)
But hey, if it is working for you, thats great!

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here