Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiver_gw

So what has GA-3 worked on for you?

dirtdiver
14 years ago

I have the first Norman Deno as well as a bunch of germination database websites at my fingertip, but I haven't found anything that's real comprehensive when it comes to which species have germinated with GA-3. Anyone keeping lists? None of the seeds I've treated with GA3 have sprouted yet (it's early, and there are still more to do), but I'll share if they do.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear of other people's successes (or failures).

Comments (6)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

What seeds have you treated with it? and at what PPM?

keriann~

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I know my father made a paste of it and applied it to the apple and pear trees growing up.

I think he did it 4 times in the summer.

The trees were HUGE and produced the most wonderful baskets of fruit every year. I do not know more specifics about how much or the actual growth % compared to untreated trees but they were larger and fuller and the fruit was larger, firmer and the season lasted longer.

He did also use it in the veggy garden but never on flowers.

I know... pretty vague but I know it helped.

Good luck on your research.

Keriann~

• dirtdiver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

keriann--I'm currently using 500 ppm, last weekend treated various aquilegia species, some clematis, angelica gigas, glaucidium palmatum, one of my three peony seeds and a couple of my cornus florida seeds. Probably a couple of other things in there too. I'll probably give other batches of the same thing standard cold treatment and see what works better. I still have a ton of other perennials to start up as well.

Did your dad apply the paste to the bark, or foliage, or diluted and just generally as a spray?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I just called him...

He said for 'thick, tough' seeds he used 2000 PPM for germination and then 500 PPM for early blooms but only a mix of 50 PPM for overall growth and development.

He put the paste around the base of the trunk on the soil, he guesses 6" away from the base. He never sprayed the trees, only the flowers of the vegatables. He recalls it being a game of too much too little. Too much and he got a ton of small fruit and too little there was not really a difference when it came to spraying the fruit trees or vegatables.

I asked him why he stopped doing it on his gardens now, and he said it was too much work to dial everything in correctly but worth it if he had the patients and time again. He does still put the paste around the few fruit trees he has now.

He never saw a real difference in flowers (not flowers on veggies..just flower plants) just the germination was quicker with 2000 PPM with the Norman Dino method.

I hope that helps.

I can pass along any questions if you would like me to ask him anything.

Keriann~

• dirtdiver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

2000 ppm-that's pretty strong-interesting! Thanks.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I double checked that one when he said it.

He said it helped with seeds that you would usually nik or soak...not all seeds can take it that strong.

Keriann~