Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental Grasses

Posted by capebretoner z4 quebec (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 7:41

I am going to try Sowing some Seeds this Year and just wondering if anyone has ever grown these type of Grasses.
Isolepsis (Livewire)
Orysa Sativa (Black Madras)
Ornemental Millet (Purple Majesty
Agrostis Nebulosa
I won't be able to transplant these outside until end of May and the Isolepsis (Livewire) is supposed to be started in February. If anyone has ever tried sowing these Seeds would love to hear from you and any tips you could provide.
Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental Grasses

I haven't grown any of those listed however last year I winter sowed Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' - dwarf fountain grass from seeds I harvested from my own plant. Seeds were sown February 27 and sprouted April 6 according to the chart I kept. They grew to about 6" tall. I set the pots down in a trench and filled in around them for the winter but expect they'll come back this year.

o

One can often get some good answers at Ornamental Grasses Forum - GardenWeb.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 15:26

I don't see anything there that shouldn't be an easy warm germinator. And I'm not sure why the isolepis would say begin in mid Feb, it appears germination should take place in no more than 6-10 days warm, plant out at 6-8 weeks. Cultivation notes for this one do indicate it is happy in containers, more so than in most beds....possibly the suggestion for the early sowing is to get the most growth from this warm season annual to better enjoy it.

If you have adequate light indoors you could do the early sowing but I wonder if really necessary if that is not convenient for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here