Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
durable_now

Did I make a fatal mistake?

durable_now
11 years ago

I'm starting some of my pepper seeds & this what I did
Put Miracle Grow seed starting mix in a large plastic bowl & added water untill I got a fairly wet mix then added the mix to the containers (3oz dixie cups) & packed it in pretty tight.I just now read that you should lightly put dry mix in cups and then water it then just bounce the bottom to settle the mix so I guess my question is will my packed cups work or should I dump them & start over again ?
Any suggestions for wetting the mix & filling the cups is appreciated

Comments (3)

• LynnMarie_
    11 years ago

I'm pretty inexperienced, but I think you did okay except for packing it in tightly. It does need to be thoroughly moistened and mixed around before putting in containers. If you wet it after it is in the pots, it will be hard to tell if it is wet all the way through, if it is waterlogged, or if you have dry spots. Then, I don't think you should pack it in the pots tightly or the roots will have trouble growing. I think the soil needs to be somewhat loose.

So, I guess what I am saying is, I just think you need to dump and reuse the moistened mix, just put it in looser than you did.

Lynn

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I just now read that you should lightly put dry mix in cups and then water it

That only applies to certain types of mixes - those that contain a wetting agent - and even then you d not have to do it that way. Most mixes do not contain wetting agents so dry mix in containers is NOT generally recommended. You have to read the ingredients in your mix to see if it lists wetting agents.

And like Lynn said, no you do not pack it tight. Grab a handful of the wet mix and wring it out in your fist. Then put it in the container and just use your fingers to lightly level it out in the container.

Dave

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I make an effort to keep all my mixes in current use, in a damp, not wet, state. It is a real pain to start with a dry mix when you are ready to seed. Al