Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about vegtable seeds

Posted by forensicmom 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 8:05

I have been an avid gardener for several years and have grown a few thigns from seed. Since I do NOT have the space to grow more then 1 large flat at a time and only in front of a south facing window (4 kids and a kitten!), I don't grow much from seed.

This year I have started cauliflower, broccoli and brussels sprouts in one large flat (Jiffy greenhouse thing). It has the extra large/deep peat pellets. I used them before and preferred them to the individual peat pots, which I had a harder time keeping watered correctly.

Almost all germinated (with a heat mat) in 3-4 days. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since they were planted and most are showing signs of their second set of leaves (1st true). I am planning to plant them outside in about 4 weeks.

My question is, will they be fine to just transplant into the garden, after hardening off? I keep reading about repotting before being transplanted. I don't have the room or the pots to do that. I am hoping that since these are the extra large and deep peat pellets, they will be fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about vegtable seeds

They will be okay to plant directly into your garden.

But, because you use peat pots you need to remove the pot before you plant. In doing this, you will most likely be ripping off some of the root tips that have grown into the pot. So they will need to be watered carefully the first week or so.

Keriann~

o

It has the extra large/deep peat pellets.

Strip off the netting before planting them.

I keep reading about repotting before being transplanted.

Very true. There are distinct advantages to many plants if you do an interim re-potting (potting up). The main advantage is the act of potting-up triggers a big spurt in root development so the plants will tolerate hardening off and the move to the garden much better and recover faster. And in some plants it is the trigger to switch from tap root to the important feeder root development.

In your case it would also have allowed you to remove the netting before roots became entangled in the netting so less damage to the plant roots. But if you can't do it, you can't. They plants will just make the switch once they are in the garden.

Dave

o

THanks

o

Also the peat pellets themselves don't have an awful lot of nutrients, so potting up enables you to give starts a richer medium. For brassicas in your zone, I would think that the end of first week of April should be earliest for hardening off/planting out, JMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here