Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Shower Geranium - seed leaves turning red

Posted by mehearty So ME z5a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 8:06

Not sure if this is because a) my house gets pretty cold at night, b) I've been leaving the lights on 20 hrs/day, or c) that's just what they do.

Does anyone know? I've not grown SS before, so I am not familiar with it. The other pellies from seed are not turning red. They are about a week behind the SS. All have at least 1 true leaf now.

Thank you in advance,

MH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Shower Geranium - seed leaves turning red

The red color is a indication the plant is being grown to cold.. crank up the heat.

o

Agree it is just cool growing temps that cause it but it does no harm to them. The plants green up quickly when planted outside and the weather warms.

If you want to warm just the growing area a bit without heating the whole house just enclose the plant area a bit with a plastic drop cloth and let the lights provide a bit of heat to them. That means leaving the lights on a night and off some during the day. Get a timer. ;)

Dave

o

Thank you both! =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here