Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genetics and Seed size?

Posted by hardeng z9FL (matersammichman@gmail.com) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 8:55

Speaking of genetics for a particular strain of plant, when saving seeds for the next growing season, does seed size make a difference in the size of the next season's plants and fruits? In other words, if I save the biggest and fattest seeds for next season, will they grow a better plant and a better harvest? If yes, does anyone have proof of this instead of just an opinion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genetics and Seed size?

there are many answers to your question & two other forums on GW could give you better answers ie seed saving & botany...that said ...
1) I have not read any research papers showing coralation between seed size & size of plant etc.....
2) My grandfather was a home gardener from the late 1800's to 1950... He saved seed but it was from plants that had the characterists HE saved seed from plants that produce goo tasting food & those that had high production. & did not look at the size of the seed

o

Proof? No. It doesn't exist because there are far too many variables in your hypothesis - "larger seeds = better plant and better harvest" - to be able to prove it.

Opinions? Sure. Millions of them. ;) Post it on the Seed Saving forum or the Growing Tomatoes forum as it comes up for discussion both places now and then if you want to get opinions.

IMPO based on many years of growing tomatoes from seed - with the exceptions of very old seeds or very dessicated seeds or seeds that were improperly stored - it makes little or no difference. Instead it is the growing conditions provided, once germinated, that have the greatest impact on plant health and production.

Dave

o

I can not speak for garden stuff, but as an old wheat farmer. Tests made my selecting larger wheat seed by screening gave a slight improvement in yield. Stronger seedling. I think it was some thing like 5 percent. I am not saying that this would carry over to future generations. I will leave that opinion to the experts.
KennyP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here