Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wreckitriz

Starting over.... Step by step advice?

wreckitriz
11 years ago

I'm starting my seedlings over and could use some step by step advice. I'm in zone 7a if that matters.

So I have:
Plant bulb from Home Depot
Shop light from Home Depot
Red solo cups
Ziplock bags
Foil circular bowls 2inch deep
Jiffy seed starting mix

Seeds:
Cantelope
Cucumber
Corn
Basil
Rosemary
Spearmint
Lettuce (butter?)
Watermelon
Cherry tomato
Peas
Peppers
Jalapeño

I work at Home Depot so I can pick up what I need today after work. Any advice on how to do germination? Right now I have 5 seeds spread apart in 6 foil tins (about 6 inch radius) of various species in individual zip lock bags on top of my fridge germinating (started last night). But I am so unsure of myself I wonder if I should chuck those and my seedlings in peat pellets out and start over. I transferred the peat pellets and lost a ton of seedlings. :( not to mention I planted 3-4 seeds per pellet so they are insanely crowded.

Also, to prevent thinning and transplanting, could I plant 1 seed per peat cell to delay transferring?

And I have two 4x2 beds and will build two 4x4 beds here soon. How many seedlings of each variety should I aim to transplant into those beds for a decent yield. I don't want to transfer one, have it die and have no back ups and not get to grow a specific species. I was thinking 4-6 seedlings per plant type?

Thanks y'all!

Comment (1)