Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting over.... Step by step advice?

Posted by wreckitriz none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 9:13

I'm starting my seedlings over and could use some step by step advice. I'm in zone 7a if that matters.

So I have:
Plant bulb from Home Depot
Shop light from Home Depot
Red solo cups
Ziplock bags
Foil circular bowls 2inch deep
Jiffy seed starting mix

Seeds:
Cantelope
Cucumber
Corn
Basil
Rosemary
Spearmint
Lettuce (butter?)
Watermelon
Cherry tomato
Peas
Peppers
Jalapeño

I work at Home Depot so I can pick up what I need today after work. Any advice on how to do germination? Right now I have 5 seeds spread apart in 6 foil tins (about 6 inch radius) of various species in individual zip lock bags on top of my fridge germinating (started last night). But I am so unsure of myself I wonder if I should chuck those and my seedlings in peat pellets out and start over. I transferred the peat pellets and lost a ton of seedlings. :( not to mention I planted 3-4 seeds per pellet so they are insanely crowded.

Also, to prevent thinning and transplanting, could I plant 1 seed per peat cell to delay transferring?

And I have two 4x2 beds and will build two 4x4 beds here soon. How many seedlings of each variety should I aim to transplant into those beds for a decent yield. I don't want to transfer one, have it die and have no back ups and not get to grow a specific species. I was thinking 4-6 seedlings per plant type?

Thanks y'all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting over.... Step by step advice?

First, I have to ask why starting over? What did you do before and why didn't it work?

Second, have you read through all the FAQs here? They are linked near the top of the forum page and are pretty much step by step.

Third, all the things on your list wouldn't be started at the same time and several of them are normally direct seeded, not started indoors - lettuce, corn, cucumber, both melons, peas. Although Butter Lettuce is a head lettuce so you can start it indoors if you wish.

What specific "plant bulb"? What bulbs for the shop light? It will be real hard to fit all of those plants under one light.

What size cups and how do you plan to use them? Small 3 oz work ok for germination.

Also, to prevent thinning and transplanting, could I plant 1 seed per peat cell to delay transferring?

Why avoid? Thinning is easy to do with snip scissors and some things - tomatoes and peppers - need to be transplanted at least once just to trigger feeder root development. All the others will benefit from a transplant.

Need more info please.

Dave

PS: Skip the foil bowls. Not sure what you planned to use them for - water or germination - but anything plastic is better if using them for shallow germination. Got any yogurt cups or butter dishes? Anything with soil in it needs holes punched in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed FAQs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here