Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west9491

lavender seeds

west9491
16 years ago

any body care to give their take on lavender seeds, this make the 2nd year i've tried, and so far it's not lookn so well.

Comments (27)

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

I store the seed at 40F for 4 weeks. then do not cover the seed soil temp 64-72F. Taking 14-90 days to germinate. & 18 weeks till large enough to set out. Ideal pH 6.5 - 7.5

• sarahbarah27
    16 years ago

They can be tricky...I had minimal success last year.

• west9491
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i just started wet paper towel method, will that help?

• belleville_rose_gr
    16 years ago

I would find someone who has a lavender plant and propagate. I rooted 4 cuttings last year.

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

As george noted, lavender is one that benefits from a cold treatment before sowing.
    I've had lavender selfseed wildly in my garden after the seeds have lain on the ground all winter.

I've had a smaller success rate in the GH although I've always got some of them to germinate and grow on. I have some growing right now and more seed to sow of different varieties.
    Lavender also takes longer to germinate than some of the easier perennials.

I wonder if the seed sold in packages is cold pretreated?

• loretta5_gw
    16 years ago

I just germinated Lavendula angustifolia seed using the baggie method (damp coffee filter in a small baggie). On December 21 I put the baggie into cold moist stratification in the refrigerator for 3 wks, then moved it to warm moist stratification on a counter at room temperature. They started to germinate on 1/18.

I also winter sowed a baggie full. So far no germination there.

• west9491
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"I wonder if the seed sold in packages is cold pretreated?"

must be...i just got home from work to find some had germinated! i bought some jiffy seed starting mix, man that stuff is like gold! best seed starting medium by far i've ever used.

oh yeah.......i bought some bulbs- iris and something else, can't remember, but when should i put them out? i've seen bulbs emerging in peoples yards, so i didn't knwo.

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

So how long did it take for the lavender seeds to germinate West9491?

Concerning the bulbs-where are you located? when is your last frost date?
    I take it since you're starting seeds indoors, you may have a setup with lights, heat etc? You could pot up your iris corms etc and get them going indoors early and then set out after you get milder weather. Don't forget to harden the plants off first.

• west9491
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the seeds germinated in i think, a little over a week. pretty good.

south east ky is where i am, last frost date is around mid apr.

and for light i'm using a 96 watt 6700K c.f. and a 25 watt 6700k regular fluorescent. as for the heat, for somereason when i open the heat vent all the way in the room they are in it gets about 78 or better in there, and i live it that way.

corms?

oh yeah, the other bulbs are peruvian daffodills.

• Patriz
    16 years ago

I have to say that the easiest lavender to germinate was the Lady Lavender. Even the packet says easy. There was no pre-chilling and the germination was well over 90%. These flower the first year, too, so I'm sold. The other varieties of lavender throughout the years have been a bit challenging with low % germination. I think that every single Lady Lavender seed has germinated this year!

Scientific Name: Lavandula angustifolia 'Lady'
    Common Name: Lady Lavender
    Other Common Names: Alfazema Brava, Alhucema, Alhucena, Broad-leaf Lavender, Broadleaved Lavender, English Lavender, Espliego, Grande Lavande, Lavande Aspic, Lavando Spigo, Lavanta, Lavender, Lavender Vera, Spijk Lavendel, Spik Lavendel, Spike, Spike Lavender, Spikenard, True Lavender
    Plant Type: Perennial
    Where To Plant: Full Sun to Partly Shady
    Soil Types: Average
    Zones (See US Zone map): 6-8
    Germination: Easy
    Number of Seeds Per Pack: 35
    Uses: Scent
    Notes: Flowers first season from seeds start early. Lavendar-Blue flowers.
    LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA 'LADY'. AAS Winner for 1994. A very nice improvement on English lavender. This is the first strain to flower consistently in the first year from seed. Uniform, compact branching habit; 20-25 cm/8-10 in. tall. Lavender-blue flowers. For centuries the fragrant flowers of lavender have been used in dried sachets, scented soaps, perfumes and potpourris. Lavender oil is an important article of commerce. In the garden, lavenders make sweet-smelling border plants along pathways. The most popular are the English varieties.

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

"You could pot up your iris corms etc and get them going indoors early and then set out after you get milder weather. "

"corms?"Quote

Iris roots are called "corms" as opposed to "bulbs".

I think that was what you were asking? :)

I assume the peruvian daffodils are a summer blooming bulb? They could be potted up also if you wanted to get them going a little early or you could store in the frig or a cool, dark spot for now and plant out after your last frost date.

• karen_b
    16 years ago

Have you tried wintersowing your lavender seeds? I've had great success with munstead and will am trying Lady this year. Check out the wintersowing forum for details

• parad0x
    16 years ago

I also have had great success with Lavender "Lady"...3 years in a row I had 90%+ germination rates....and first year blooms.

Todd In Philly

• lam702
    16 years ago

I did them last year via wintersowing. Very easy.

• west9491
    Original Author
    16 years ago

here's an update for ya, i tried the paper towel method, guess what, more success. i musta just had a bad pack of seeds last year?

by the way, how long does it take to germinate crepe myrtle seeds? i have several in a paper towel, by they way, are they germinated in light or dark????

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

I regularly start lavender seed straight from the package at 70 degrees. I grew lady lavender one year but was unimpressed with the plant. Lavender here are good for about five years when they get too woody and are best replaced. Al

• Patriz
    16 years ago

Here is some inspiration...Lady Lavender making its way into the world...
    {{gwi:218361}}

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/lavendercareandtips.htm

This links says the seeds benefit from light.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Started Lady Lavender about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Glad to hear they're not finnicky. Will hope for the best. Also sowed some "True Lavender" from NK seed packet sold in grocery store. Not too concerned about longevity of plants. Just needed some blues to put around beds, supposed benefit to some companion plants and as supposed deterrent to critters. Just have to get them to germinate. Put under lights in father's basement that he uses for African Violets. Probably not optimal setup for seed germination but that is what's available. Boosted containers closer to lights with upended vases. Whatever they accomplish will be fine with me. I'm in such a maze of trying to figure out what to do with my first venture into seed starting I'm just trying to go with the flow. Still doing yard and garden prep so have time. Worst that can happen is I buy some starter Lavender at nursery and root more. Know I won't get instant Lavender plants but can only do so much. Heck, I already bought rooting hormone in "gardening prep buying" so I would actually have a use for it...LOL.

• fengshui05
    15 years ago

hi there,
    it depends on what seeds of lavender you are planting. if it L. angustifolia then a cold season breaking dormancy is nessecary. Professional gardens get the seeds already broken or put them at place with changing temperatures (from o°C to 15°c). If you have problems getting the seeds germinated - Lavenders are easy to root as cuttings.

if you plant L. stoechas or other species then sow them directly and give them temperatures around 15-18°c

regards,
    h.j.

• beaverbrewer
    15 years ago

I got seed for "hidcote blue" from Vesey's. As per their instructions, I just sprinkled the seed on the surface of the soil and tried to keep it cool and bright. Got germination pretty quickly, but it looks like the biggest hurdle is going to be hardening off. The little sprouts are very spindly and if I ever have the misfortune of knocking one to the soil with a water droplet, it is instantly consumed by fungus. (This is in a seed starter.)

I have transfered a few cells from the starter to pots, but they remain spindly.

From what my gardening book says, I'm thinking that excess moisture is a real no-no for lavender. Therefore getting them out of the seed starter with the dome is probably a good thing (seems to be improving matters for me), but it's sure to be a fine balance between keeping them hydrated and not having damp soil.

This is my first attempt at lavender, so I'm sort of winging it.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

beaverbrewer by all means remove the dome as soon as germination takes place. Water from the bottom only and be sure plenty of light is available but not direct sun. Al

• fengshui05
    15 years ago

re: moisture and spindly plants - maybe the seedling had no direct sunligth and too much moisture. Give the seedling a real sunny position and it will work
    Hidecote Blue is one of my favorites - as the flowers are the deepest violettblue so far (I have seen).

regards,

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I had Lady Lavender come up fast. I save restaurant containers or KFC, punch big holes in the bottom for drainage and a few in the top for ventilation, sow the seeds according to directions, using Miracle Gro potting soil right now but also am trying a seed starting mix for one of my winter sowing failures that I want badly, and put the top on and set them in a mostly shaded area. Then I watch for moisture accumulation and if it disappears, mist a little and putting the covers back on.

Once it looks like they are all germinated, I take the tops off, I put them in a brighter spot but not too much so, and mist regularly but they put roots down pretty fast so it's not as critical as in the germination stage. They can't be let get too dry.

I think the trick with some surface-sowed seeds is that the soil dries out too fast. I will also try to winter sow some if I don't like this kind. It looked blue in the photo, but I'm sure it will be some shade of light purple.

I've found that for seeds that need to be covered, vermiculite works well, easier to get even depth but it's harder to tell when they are getting too dry; I feel the soil and can usually tell.

• beaverbrewer
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments on the spindly plants. I get the feeling that maybe I just started them a bit early and a bit sparse. If I had skipped the seed starter altogether and just gone for 3-4 inch diameter pots I think I'd have had a bit more luck. As it is, my best batch are currently growing in a yoghurt container, and doing well despite zero drainage. (Maybe I water them less for that reason...)
    Anyhoo, looking forward to getting them in the ground shortly. (Big move is next week...)

• sammyyummy
    11 years ago

Hi.
    After trying for three weeks with various methods (baggie, cold strat, soilless mix etc), I was able to germinate one seed.

I wonder if adding plant hormone will give it a healthy head start. MY seedling looks a bit weak and I wanna do everything i can to help it thrive since its the only seed that germinated.

Also in general, is it good to use plant hormones (hormex) to seedlings?

Thanks.

• ironside
    10 years ago

I planted a flat of Lavender Vera, yesterday. I set the temperature to 70. Do they require light to germinate? I can't find any information on growing them.