Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato seedling disease -- ugh

Posted by terradika tx (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 9:23

Hi, I am growing supposedly disease resistant rootstock, Maxifort so I can graft heirlooms onto them. My seeds are up about 5 inches now but am getting leaf curl as well as the bottom leaves are turning purple and are getting bumps on them. Can't tell if it is a fungal or bacterial problem.. Any help will be helpful.. thanks.. if fungal, will baking soda or asprin help? What about copper?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato seedling disease -- ugh

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 18:36

Probably neither since exposure to both bacteria and fungal virus while growing indoors is extremely rare as exposure would be difficult.

The purpling is common with young seedlings with young roots when growing in cool environments - especially if watered with cold water too. It is a normal physiological response for the seedlings and disappears naturally as the plant matures. It requires no intervention 95% of the time.

The bumps are on the leaves or the stems? On the leaves it is usually water blisters from over-watering and disappears as soon as you cut back on the water and/or humidity. If on the stems they are called adventitious roots and are normal in older plants - very common with Maxifort. In young seedlings it can also be a sign of over-watering.

Would need much more info and hopefully a pic to be more specific.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here