Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to start seeds

Posted by John_JJ 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:56

here the last frost date is may 10 and you put the plants out 2 weeks after the last frost date and that is may 24.
im planting tomatoes,bell peppers,and cucumbers. so do i start the tomatoes 8 weeks before the 10th or 24th?

tomatoes-8 weeks
peppers- 10 weeks
cucumbers- 4 weeks
?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to start seeds

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 13:43

Since they don't all get planted out at the same time anyway - peppers are slower to grow than tomatoes but require warmer soil than tomatoes - I'd use the 10 th date. Cucumbers work MUCH better when direct seeded.

Dave

o
RE: Best time to start seeds

Hi John,
Well, even though I grow mostly annual flowers, the terms used to suggest seed starting times are the same. Usually you’ll see something like “Start your seeds 6 to 8 weeks before the last expected frost date in your area.” So, according to that, you would start your tomato seeds about 6 to 8 weeks before the 10th of May.
The reason for suggesting that you plant the seedling about 2 weeks after that last frost date is to give the soil time to warm up a bit. The seedlings need to be hardened off first anyway. Generally, if you wait until your night temperatures are staying above about 50 deg F, you should be safe to plant tomato seedlings outside. It could, of course, take more than 2 weeks after that last frost for that to occur.

Hope this helps,
Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here