Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollyhock (pern.) and Lisianthus hints and advice

Posted by keriann_lakegeneva 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 10:03

I am starting Hollyhocks and Lisianthus for the first time this year from seed. I know my Hollyhocks will probably not bloom this year, and I am okay with that but has anyone had any luck or any tips they want to pass along?

I am also starting Lisianthus, same thing, does anyone have and successful tips for me or advice besides starting them very early?

Thank you in advance!

Keriann~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollyhock (pern.) and Lisianthus hints and advice

What kind of hollyhocks? Some are supposed to flower the first year, though I guess like any biennial, probably better the second year. I just started some appleblossom hollyhocks the other day, and had the first sprouts probably 24 hours later. I hear they are fairly easy, just have to leave some space between when planting out as they can be prone to powdery mildew. I love lisianthus, I'd really like to try them sometime. I really love the kind that are white with blue or pink tips.

o

I am growing 'The Bride' Hollyhocks from Park Seeds.

It states it is perfect for cutting for a June wedding, but who knows if that is this year or in 2016 ha ha ha.

Thanks for the help.

Keriann~

o

Hey, Keriann, click the link below and see the line of text right below the picture of your future, beautiful hollyhocks... It's good news! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollyhock The Bride

o
Woo Hoo

I read that almost 10 times and couldn't find any information on blooming the first year.

Now this time I found it! On the very bottom right in tiny letters....IT DOES! woo hoo!

I am excited.

My gardens are all blue purple and white, so these should look beautiful!

Keriann~

Thanks for the fun message : )

o

Sleepy: I feel like such a dork!

Your message even said to read below the picture!

Sorry for overlooking it.. you rock!

Keriann~

o

Oh, that's ok; the cool thing is, after you said that about the link at the bottom right, I clicked on it, and that shows you everything they sell that is 'supposed to' flower in the first year, which I didn't know they had a category like that. But the only bummer is it shows you their plants for sale, too, so it ends up being like 300 things, and not just seeds, but it was still neat to look through that category. Glad you will have some beautiful hollyhocks THIS year! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here