Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedling stems turning red

Posted by henrydx 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 10:34

I sowed some purple coneflower seed about 20 days ago, they germinated very well nearly 100 percent :), however, recently the stems are turning red what does this mean? I used miracle grow shake and feed (10-10-10) to fertilize them just 2 days ago could that be why they turned red? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Henry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedling stems turning red

Usually coneflowers that are purple bear red (changing to dark purple) stems. If they are healthy and thriving I would guess that the red stems are natural. It also is a great way to find out what color a flower may be when shopping for plants that are 'mixed' color. My lupines are beautiful with their dark stems, green leaves and dark purple flower. I hope that helps.

Keriann~

o

Thanks for the info Keriann. I'm a beginner so I was worried that i over fertilized them. By the way you wouldn't happen to know how much time it takes for them to develop their first set of true leaves? It's been a week since they emerged and besides the cotyledon leaves i still don't see any sings of other leaves growing.

Henry

o

Sorry, I don't.

I have only grown annuals from seed thus far.

Good Luck, hopefully someone will chime in.

Keriann~

o

You should be using a VERY weak fertilizer though, if any at all. Usually your seedling potting mix comes with pleanty of fertilizer.

I would skip it until you get them transplanted into 2-4 inch pots.

Keriann~

o

OK i will go ahead remove the fertilizer beads tomorrow. Thank you very much for the advice Keriann.

Henry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here