Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what NOT to start on a heat mat?

Posted by michelelc 6A (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 10:35

Hi,

I started my broccoli and cabbage seeds on a heat mat last Wed. I went away for the weekend, and nothing had popped up before I left on Friday. This morning when I checked, everything had come up, but the broccoli had really gotten very leggy already. I'm starting a new batch of broccoli today. Should I NOT use the heat mat? Are their certain vegetables that don't like heat when germinating?
Thanks,
Michele

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what NOT to start on a heat mat?

Cold weather crops like your broccoli and cabbage dont really like heat mats : )

Rule of Thumb: if it can take some frost or you plant it out earlier then tomatoes, it doesn't need heat.

Keriann~

o

I started mine on a mat but watched them very closely. They were breaking through in 36 to 48 hours, at that point i took them off the heat and placed under lights.

This is my first year using heat so I know little about it, but all is well so far. My Royal Hillbilly Tomatoes did not come up but all others did. I expect bad seed.

o

Most mats are controlled at 70 degrees and the temperature is not the problem, the time is. Gardeners read the packet which says germination should take up to 21 days, and are not prepared for many seeds starting in 3 days, when they should be taken off the heat. Al

o

Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I'll pop the broccoli and cauliflower on the heat mat briefly and keep a close watch on them.

o

Yep, the heat should be turned off as soon as germination takes place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here