Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using 72-plant seed starter kit--plants get too big?

Posted by philothea 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 10:40

So I broke down this year and got the kit because my old system is so time-and space-consuming.

Is there a way to keep the plants from growing out of those itty-bitty spaces before the time comes to transplant them? For some reason, as I recollect, something always happens at the time they are supposed to go out and they end up being in there a little too long and they outgrow the container.

Or are we just supposed to put them into something bigger before pitting them into the ground?

If the latter is the case, I will just skip the kits and go back to my old method, sigh.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using 72-plant seed starter kit--plants get too big?

The 5-1-1 is mostly pine park. Where are going to find fine pine park to use. The pine park I bought at HD looks like 2x4 pieces and I don't have the time or the equipment or the desire to grind these things.

Yes you are supposed to move the plants to something larger. Don't know what your old system was - we might be able to help with that given details - but that is why the "kits" are generally a waste.

Of course it depends in part on exactly what you are growing in them and how long the plant has to stay in one before going to the garden.

Dave

o
RE: Using 72-plant seed starter kit--plants get too big?

Oh, thanks so much, Dave :) I am leaving soon and was planning to buy some more kits...

My old system was to germinate in an old round dehydrator on top of paper towels, then put into styrofoam cups which have slices at the bottom. These go into cardboard box bottoms (flats that had cans in the from the grocery store) that are in a plastic bag. i used to have a good set-up where the plants went under a table wrapped in plastic with the lights hanging down from the table.

This works really well, overall, but I tend to get overwhelmed and end up with a gazillion packages of cups. We have way more garden space than storage ar seed-starting space!

Thanks again--i think I'll use the kits I got for cut-and-come again lettuce mix and just use my old system!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here