Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
korean maple

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 10:55

I had been thinking of growing one of these, I think they are very beautiful. The information I have found says they are hardier than the Japanese Maples. Now I have found a source for seeds and would like to try growing one. Has anyone ever tried to grow these from seed? Thanks for any advice. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: korean maple

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 13:03

Marg, you may want to watch your seed sources, article by U of Minnesota cautions " The species can be grown from seed, although locating viable and true-to-type seed can be difficult. "

I see Gardens North has theirs moist packed. As sellers of very high quality seeds, they don't do that without reason.

"Gardens North seeds: ACER pseudosieboldianum (Moist Packed)Seed has been moist-packed to preserve viability. Cold treatment required."

Plant Explorers propagation notes: "Fresh seed - Will be cold moist stored. Place seed in tepid water, sow sinkers immediately. Soak floating seed 4-24 hours until it sinks and sow immediately. Sow thinly at 6 mm deep in a sandy peat layer; tamp firm. Cold stratify for 60-120 days. Keep moist. Add a thin layer of fine mulch. Don't let germinating seed freeze, dry out or migrate onto the medium surface as this is fatal. After cold stratification period is over, expose to spring conditions to promote germination. Good indirect light is best for seedlings"

o
RE: korean maple

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 14:16

Thanks for the info. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here