Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you keep seeds true.

Posted by longknife 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 11:19

If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following year and want them to be as true as possible, how does one go about this when more that one variety are growing on close proximity? Any tips on seed collecting or special techniques? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you keep seeds true.

First you need to make sure they are not hybrid. If it is a wave petunia there is no way that it will be true. I have collected seed from wave petunias thinking they will at least come close and I only had foliage and never a bloom.

There are heirloom petunias but how far apart in spacing or how to keep them true I have not figured that part out yet. All I can say is try it and see what happens. I mean gardening is trial and error.

Also you may want to post this on the seed saving forum that is if you do not get another response. I know there are several that visit that site frequently that are really good at saving seed.

I sure hope you find an answer cause that seems to be the million dollar question. Some things need to be spaced 1/2 a mile then some things can be hand pollinated and bagged. Maybe that would be an option for you to hand pollinate it then bag it with some kind of breathable material like a cheese cloth.

Here is one of my favorite sites for seed saving I hope this may give you a little help.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed saving

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here