Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is a good time to start seeds

Posted by ritug 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 11:20

I live in Ontario, canada - zone 5, and wondering when is the best time to start seeds indoors. Usually I start in mid March for planting in late May/early June. My plants do not have any flowers on them by then. If I start them earlier - would they get too leggy?

It would be good to hear from others when they start their indoor projects?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is a good time to start seeds

Yeah, I start about the same time in Massachusetts. Depending on what you are planting you could get the wall o water. It's a plastic tent that keeps heat within so you can set your plants out earlier. I'm trying them this year.

Usually we don't get stuff (vegetables) until August. I hate waiting all that time. You could try indoors a bit earlier...but you do risk them getting leggy. Also, you risk transplant shock.

Typical indoor planting time is 6-8 weeks before last frost. But it depends on the plant. You have to ck the packets.

I'd be curious to hear others ideas of how to get plants started earlier indoors without being leggy. I think you'd really need a greenhouse for that..but I could be wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall o Water article from my blog

o

I am in MA near Taunton ..and I started Toms,peppers to plant out in May or so...I know I'll have to hardern them off very carefully to avoid shock.I will replant them deeper and pinch top growth ruthlessly if it means I can eat Mater sooner. I hate waiting till the end of Aug to get a few for al my hard work.

o

Thanks for your help. Looks like following the package advise makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here