Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almax881

Heating Pad or Seed Warming Mat?

almax881
15 years ago

I am thinking about getting something to help the germinations of some lavender seeds. Other posts have suggested to get a seed warming mat. They are relatively pricey though. Could I use a regular old heating pad from a box store instead?

Comments (27)

• greenwood85
    15 years ago

Yeah, just make sure it doesn't have an automatic shut-off feature.

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Sounds like an expensive and unsafe adventure. First, the germinating mat is a big investment for so few seeds, I wouldn't make the purchase. Second, the heating pad idea, although appealing, has two draw backs: 1) it could cause the soil to get well above optimal germinating temp and 2) if left unattended, it poses a fire hazard. So what are you to do? The simplest, safest, and least expensive is place the seed tray over a relatively warm appliance such as on top the fridge., near the furnace, or in the laundry room. Remember 95% of seeds don't need light to germinate so any of these places would work just fine.

• tomakers
    15 years ago

I just bought a seed warming mat. $20 & $7 shipping.... not that expensive. And they last for years, at least mine has. I just wanted a second one.
    JMO,
    Tom

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I wouldn't use a heating pad. They aren't made to run continuously or to be exposed to moisture. That being said plenty of people do it but I believe it's a fire hazard. Like Tom posted seed mats aren't expensive and a single tray size (about 11"x 21") is only about $20. If you don't want to invest in a seed mat you can use the top of your fridge if it's not built into the cabinetry.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

For starting cuttings a soil warmer than the air temperature is helpful to encourage roots to grow. For seeds there is no such advantage. Air temperature will equal soil temperature and a soil heater will not do anything except dry out the soil. If you are only interested in seed starting, save your money. Al

• ruthsmith
    15 years ago

I've never used a heating mat...ever. I'd try the lavender without and see how it goes. As other suggested...try a warm appliance..radiator..boiler..etc.

• noinwi
    15 years ago

I've sprouted lavender seed without bottom heat, in warm room temperature(73-74). I made a plastic bag tent over the starting pots until I saw green, then put them under CF lights until I could plant them outside. Unfortunately, they weren't hardy to my zone and died out over the winter, but they were not difficult to start from seed.

• sweet_lemon
    15 years ago

I've never germinated lavendar seeds, but I do germinate a number of other things that do better with some extra heat. I use neither a heating mat nor heating pad, but rather a box covered with glass, and an incandescent bulb close to the glass surface and shining in. The box I use is one of those styrafoam packing boxes tho an ice chest would probably do. I keep a thermometer inside and I keep a temp of about 80. I only keep the light on over night, and let the sun shine on it during the day. Sometimes you have to vent the box if it's too warm.

I've been using this sort of set up for years now. Works very well. I have low humidity here so damping-off is no problem.

• ontheteam
    15 years ago

YA know..I found lavender to be a real PITA to germinate and grow on.
    I tried 3 different types from seed. I have ONE plant that is over wintering in a pot out side and is fine...the 2 gallon sized ones I brought are fine too..I think I am just going to do cuttings from those this yr. HTH.

• mehearty
    15 years ago

For the last few years I've been coiling a rope light under my trays to heat the soil. I just check every now and then to make sure it doesn't get too hot in there.

{{gwi:219757}}

Ironically, I was able to start many lavender seeds before I messed around with heating or lighting. They just seemed to take off in a covered tray.

• rachel_z6
    15 years ago

I used heating pads on LOW for years and always had good results. Obviously, try not to get them wet, but most of them are rubber coated anyway.

Lavender can be hard to germinate, or at least some types take a good long while. If yours don't germinate within three weeks, take them off heat and put them in a cold spot for three weeks (~

• almax881
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have alternated my seeds between the hot water heater and the top of the fridge. I think I see a green stem trying to emerge from the soil.

But, all of these discussions have made me curious: What is the difference between a seed mat and an electric grow mat? Is one better than the other?

• shabbu
    15 years ago

thats a great question...i also was wondering what the difference is between the two. Also some people mentioned that they got seed mat for $20, from where? Most places I checked they are around $40.

• big_dave_2009
    15 years ago

did my message come thru? i asked what is a rope light, and also how to overwinter fuchsias, rosemarys, scented geraniums like mosquito plants. I wonder if using a heat mat might help them survive in my home. and if they are dying for lack of light?

• rawb
    15 years ago

Wow, don't know the difference between seed mat and grow mat. But to the OP. Lowes sells a seed starting kit from Ferry Morse, for $27.00. Includes heat mat and 72 cell tray with pellets and dome.

I reckon a heat mat would be or not be needed depending on where your seed starting station is located IMH. Everything I started last yr came up (no heat mat) Cept for my marigolds.. ARGGHH!! only got around 15 - 20 plants last year out of a 72 cell tray!

My seed starting station is near the front door this year and a bit drafty! So I will be trying the afore mentioned kit just to make sure they stay warm and have a chance for all to germinate.

Rob

• marty48
    11 years ago

The heating pad I had under them has a 2 hr. shutoff feature so I just unplugged it and put it away, I very gently dug around and found out some of the moonvine seeds have roots growing out of them, so I took the moonvine seeds and put them in a separate pot, and the moonflower seeds are together in one pot that way they won't trying to grow two different ways. I did not break the root and I put it back into the potting soil and misted it real good.

• pneuens
    11 years ago

I found this web site how to make a heating mat out of rope lights .. looks pretty nice I might try it ..

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/11658/diy-heat-mat-speeds-seed-starting

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

If you use rope lights make sure to buy the incandescent ones. The LED ropes don't put out heat.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

This discussion of using heating pads for warming soil, reminds me of my friend who manages the produce in a large market. He always has a good selection of ripe bananas, while the competition has green bananas. When I commented on this he took me into the backroom where he has an old electric blanket. If he wraps the green bananas in the blanket at night they are ripe in the morning. Once in a while an early shopper may notice the bananas feel warm, but not a big problem. My lettuce seeds reliably show sprouts in three days in my incubator set at 80 degrees. Al

• Austin Jennings
    6 years ago

PetSmart - reptile terrarium heating pad. Won't over heat, runs continuously and is resistant to water.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    6 years ago

I would never use a heating pad, they're not made for water. Get a seed heating mat or reptile heating mat.

• HU-462639397
    5 years ago

Sunbeam makes a heating pad ($15) with NO automatic shutoff. I’ve been using heating pads set on Low for DECADES to start seeds. Why on earth would there be a fire? I cover the heating pad with plastic (take off the cloth cover) and set covered seed trays on it. (Some heating pads are made for “Moist heat” and include a cloth to get damp. But I use a cheap simple heating pad. ) Works great. I soak most seeds overnight then plant with bottom heat, and many sprout in 3-5 days instead of weeks. i also made grow lights from $8-9 work lights from Home Depot and $7 grow light bulbs. Can also use old fluorescent fixt with grow light tubes. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune to start seeds.

• katecat94
    4 years ago

I was curious about the heating pad v seed warmer difference too but mine is mostly for some plants that seem on the edge of unhappiness from the poorly regulated temperatures. I reckon if I can help them through to longer days than more light will help them too. "Water risk" is balony, IMO.

My partner's (not so bright) ex made what was essentially a 6' heating element wired into an extension cord. I had to pack her stuff (yup) and when I saw that I was alarmed. Fortunately she's a dilettante and had forgotten about her (messed up interpretation weed filled) fling with what she called permaculture.

So apparently some 15 years ago you could buy bulk heating element but I strongly encourage you to follow at least basic safety precautions. If you plug it in and the naked element scorches you, that's not good.

• HU-462639397
    2 years ago

I go for cheap and KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), and the heating pads are the easiest and cheapest and SAFEST solution. They also serve double-duty the rest of the year when your back hurts.

Recently I bought 5 more used goose-neck lamps at thrift stores to use as grow lights with the addition of the grow light bulbs. Average cost of used lamps: $2.98. Cheap!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would NOT use heating pads meant for sore backs, etc., you could be electrocuted. Can't be safe if it gets wet. Use a real heat mat made for seed starting. They are made to work if wet.

• HU-462639397
    2 years ago

My heating pads are plastic-enclosed when I buy them, not like the old cloth ones of my grandmother's era. Then I cover them up with plastic, so there is NO chance of their getting wet. No danger whatsoever. I've been doing this for more than 30 years.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!