Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Seedlings Too Tall?

Posted by redthreaddiy 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 11:31

This is my first time growing tomatoes from seed and I'm afraid they're too tall and skinny. I planted them about 2.5 weeks ago.

They don't appear to be growing anymore, they are kind of at a standstill. I don't see any true leaves forming.

Should I replant them now into larger containers and bury them up to their first little leaves?

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Seedlings Too Tall?

They're 'leggy' because they're not getting enough light. They should be placed just a couple of inches from the light as soon as they sprout. You can try planting them deeper at this stage, although you might lose a few, but you might lose some if you don't. Pot up the tallest ones and get them all closer to the light ASAP. Having a small fan blowing gently on them for a while each day will help sturdy them up, too.

o

I raised my lights just for the photograph. I keep the lights almost touching the tops of the plants. They get 16 hours of light each day.

Maybe I will wait a few extra days before trying the transplant so they can get a little stronger.

I will try the fan - I have one in the room already. Thanks for your advice!

o

red: My seedlings, in years past, were quite often referred to as being "leggy." No big deal, as far as i'm concerned. :) I'd simply keep the shortest (not tallest), widest & healthiest looking of them. Then, i'd pot them up to the cotyledons (first set of leaves). I'd always end up with great plants that had great production.

- Steve

o

Do you leave the humidity dome on? (in the background)

also, can you post a picture of your light over your seedlings?

Keriann~

o

The cause of leggy seedlings is usually either poor lighting, too much heat (65 to 68 degrees F. is usually good) or too much fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here