Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putrid smelling seed starting mix, can I still use it?

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 6, 10 at 11:41

I had a big tub of Pro-Mix BX with biofungicide sitting out on my patio when we got a very unusual for California 9 inches of rain in five days. The tub filled up with water and the Pro-Mix in it turned to soup. I used part of it two weeks ago to start some tomato seeds and after draining as much water out as I could the stuff worked great and almost all my seeds sprouted. But after sitting outside for two weeks the rest of the soup has developed a putrid smell. Can I still use it after draining the excess water? Do I have to completely dry it out? Or should I throw it out on the garden. This Pro-mix is very expensive so I don't want to waste it if I can don't have to.
I also have a fresh bale of Pro-mix that didn't get wet. Can I mix the dry stuff with the putrid smelling soup to bring it to the correct moisture content? Or should I mix up a fresh batch using clean rainwater?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putrid smelling seed starting mix, can I still use it?

If you do not want to throw it out,I would not use it until it had been completely dried out. The bad smell is caused by the bacteria produced by the anaerobic condition of the mix over the long time with no oxygen. If it were me I would throw it on the garden, not use it for any propagation. Al

o

I've heard that baking mix in the oven (in a glass dish) for about a half an hour to forty five minutes at 250 degrees will kill fungus, but I'm not exactly sure what's causing it to smell bad.

o

The smell is caused by bacteria growing in it, just like if you had a bucket of kitchen waste full of water.

If it's worth it to try to keep it, spread it out fairly thinly on something that drains well. Vinyl window screening cut to fit the bottom of some flats comes to mind. And sit them out in the full sun until they're dry. If it's going to rain again, put them under shelter.

You CAN put them in the oven, but the smell is worse than you can believe -- really bad!

If it isn't crucial that you use this particular bag, just toss it into the garden like Calistoga suggested.

If you have seeds that are very important to you, don't use this soil to start them.

And keep your potting soil out of the rain.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here