Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my seedlings OK?

Posted by onthebrinck 6 Central New Jersey (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 11:53

I started some Echinacia seeds about 7 weeks ago in my cellar, and have about 50 seedlings surviving from about 80 seeds. I planted them in Miracle-Gro starter soil in 3" peat pots. I keep them at about 68-70 degrees and provide them with about 10 hours of fluorescent lights (4) hung to within 18" of the pots. I've been given them about 1/4" of water (I let the water pool to about that depth on the top --- it immediately soaks in) ... twice a week. Generally, the plants have 4 leaves each and are about 1-1/2" tall. Lately, about 8 or so have just shriveled and died over the course of three days. I feel this is a critical time for them ... what can I be doing to assure their survival?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my seedlings OK?

I would get the lights 1-2" away from them, set up a fan and get them out of peat pots into a plastic container. peat pots hae a terrible time wicking water and/or retaining water.

Your watering system and temperature seems to be accurate.

Oh, did they fall over at the stem and die or did the seedlings get crispy/shriveled from the top down and die?

Pictures would help A LOT

Keriann~

o
RE: Are my seedlings OK?

Thanks for the advice! I have moved the lights down and transplanted the seedlings to plastic pots. The soil is OK ... it's got peat and vermiculite, as well as soil, but is pretty fluffy. I put a little muffin fan at the end of the trays to circulate the air. I'll be watching to see that the transplanting is OK, and then giving them their first major watering later today --- I gave them a bit two days ago. So far, they seem to have tolerated the transplanting and my ham-handed treatment pretty well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here