Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus seedlings...now what?

Posted by tomtuxman 6bNY (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 11:57

In early February I sowed a packet (25 seeds) of Mary Washington into standard seed starting mix in the usual little cell thingies. In 10 days, I had some seedlings, now about 3/4 are germinated and poking up. Weirdly, a few have sprouted two little "sticks" from one seed (the tallest thus far is about 6 inches high and thinner than thin spaghetti).

Spending entirely too much time on the Internet due to this year's fierce smow blasts here in the Hudson Valley, I've come across advice that says to remove the germination tray from warmth and direct sunlight once seedlings show up, and transfer them of a cooler (55 to 65 degrees F), bright-but-not-sunny location.

This seems counter-intuitive to me. I would think that they still need pretty sunny surroundings, no?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus seedlings...now what?

I grew some asparagus from seed last year for the first time. Cooler makes sense, many plants grow better at cooler temps than they germinate. I moved mine to the bottom shelf of my light set up to grow on. Still under fluorescents, but closer to 60 degrees. I suppose fluorescents are "bright but not to sunny". If you had them outside then it would be a concern, but inside nowhere you have them is likely to be to sunny.

They will continue shooting up additional spikes. I too thought - I must have double seeded this one!, but by mid summer each single spike had turned into 12-15 long feathery fronds.

I have to admit, that due to all sorts of other complications, I never got the new asparagus bed dug, so I ended up tossing the starts :(

o

Mandolls, how long did it take to get to the 12-15 inch size? Thanx for the advice.

o

I actually don't quite remember. I know they were at least 6-8 " when I moved them out to the screened in porch at the end of May. ( I started the seed in mid Feb) I kept them alive all summer, and they continued to grow and multiply even though they were only in 9oz plastic cups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here