Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I move these plants?

Posted by japus 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 12:00

I believe I may be referring to (up-plant)
Started these about 2 weeks ago in small expandable pellets.
A few days ago I touched them up by adding some grow soil.
Should I move them now to larger containers?
I am going to place them in a cold frame as soon as I get some nicer weather..
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I move these plants?

How long will it be before you move them to the cold frame?
Are you fertilizing?
Bob

o

I would estimate 1-2 weeks, our weather seems to be moderating now so the cold frames ought to work.
I've been using miracle gro, 1/3rd teaspoon to just less than a queart of water

o

Here is just one opinion: Leave them. Don't "transplant shock" them twice in such a short period of time. I left my fall-planted winter seedlings (petunias, snaps, and rose seedlings) in trays a long time this winter and just planted them in the ground 2 weeks ago.

Go to the post "when to fertilize". Go straight to the link Art provided. You will see the fertilize requirements for seedlings at different ages. Correct the fertilizer to what is stated in his link. That will control the growth rate a bit while in the trays.
A quick way to get a real close PPM for 1 tablespoon of your water soluble fertilize in one gallon of water is a simple calculation with the number by 3750.
Example: If your fertilizer is 20-10-10 and you want to know the PPM per tablespoon of Nitrogen (20).
DO: 20% x 3750 = 750 ppm per tablespoon per gallon of water.
Calculate the desired PPM from there.
Good Luck,
Bob

This post was edited by bugbite on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 15:20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here